Want to transfer everything from 1tb hdd to 2tb hdd

I want to transfer everything on my 1tb hard drive to my 2tb and use the 2tb as my main drive. I would prefer it if everything would be intact from this drive on the 2tb, including Windows 7 and all my programs functioning correctly. How do I go about this, and do it correctly and safely?

Since the two drives are different capacities it's best to create a hard disk image of the 1TB drive, then restore that image to the 2TB drive, remembering to tick the option to "proportionally resize" the image when restoring it so that it fills the entire 2TB of the drive. If you fail to tick that option, you'll end up with a 2TB drive which has only a 1TB partition on it.

You can achieve all the above by using Active@ Disk Image: http://disk-image.com/

Don't forget to create a boot CD containing a bootable version of Active Disk Image. This allows you to access the disk image file for restoring to the same or a different hard drive. The program contains a Windows utility for creating a bootable CD. Creating disk images can be done from within Windows (and it does work) or you can create one from the bootable CD version of the program if you prefer.

There are other disk imaging applications, some of which are free, but I can only recommend the one that I have used for several years with no problems whatsoever.

Why wouldn't I want only a 1tb partition on the 2tb drive? btw my 1tb drive is near full forgot to mention.

Brand of the 2tb is Samsung.

zdbc13

Distinguished
Samsung hard drives have merged with Seagate. They have a utility to image to a new disk. Get it here:
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/
Run the software, image to new disk, reset bios to boot from new disk, and if everything works OK from there you can format the old 1TB disk for additional storage. For ease of use, make the new drive the full 2TB. You'll have over 1TB free after the clone and then another TB on the old disk to use. Should work for quite a while....

QUITE A WHILE?!