Speedfan help...

hey guys, i was recently looking at OCing, I have not yet OCed, and have an upgraded cooler.
so i downloading and installed speedfan, my question is, what is the 'system' temp in speed fan checking?
because mine is at 84C and my CPU is only 30, which each core is ~20C i don't understand what its measuring?
29 answers Last reply
More about speedfan help
  1. I think it is the motherboard temperature. That is a bit too high. I haven't used it in a while and i am not quite sure on what it exactly means.
  2. but i dont get it, each core is at 20C or so
  3. Look at your case air flow. I think the circulation of air flow within your cabinet is not right.
  4. Core temps can't be lower than cpu temps, that reading is wrong. System temp is either a sensor on the mother board or the northbridge temp most likely. Like storm said 84c is too high but that reading might be wrong too. How is the computer running, any crashes, freezes,blue screens? Also you can open the case and put a finger on the motherboard heatsink and see if it's hot. If it's 84c you'll know it pretty quickly. In that case better airflow, or maybe spot cooling.
  5. no, everything else is working perfectly, i built this pc recently, and its a new antec 1200, all the heatsyncs are cool ish, imo the reading is wrong, i have all fans on 100% and its cool inside
  6. Double check with HW monitor.
  7. which reading am i looking? its showing simlar core temps, but i don't see a 'system' temp anywhere.

This is why/where i was confused before, my main question is 'WHAT is 'system' monitoring in speedfan?'
  8. Google for the terms, they all have different terminologies for different softwares for the same temperatures!
  9. i tryed, couldn't find what it was reading...
  10. im thinking speedfan is wrong actually, since both coretemps+ CUPID are both exactly the same, and speedfan is off on every temp by around 10C+
  11. There would be terms called Chipset, PWM, CPU in there look at them.
  12. on a side note/offtopic i found ATI Radeon HD5870 cheap, is 160£ a good price + would it work in crossfire with a HD 5850?
  13. Yes it would, but mixed crossfire does have some scaling issues. Not to mention the HD5xxx cards had poor CF scaling.
  14. I agree, you would would most likely have stability issues if the mobo or northbridge was actually running that hot. What is coretemp saying your cores are?
  15. hell_storm, in speedfan it only says 'system' and in CPUID there is no temp even close to 84
  16. my highest core today was 34C according to both CPUID + coretemps
  17. ^ Now that makes sense, being that speedfan said your cpu temp was 30. 5c above on idle for core temps is about right. Speedfan got the cpu temp right it appears.
  18. speedfan:

system 84C
    CPU: 36C
    AUX:29C
    core 0:18C
    core 1:17C
    core 2:14C
    core 3:16C

exact reading on speedfan atm
  19. sportsfanboy said:
    ^ Now that makes sense, being that speedfan said your cpu temp was 30. 5c above on idle for core temps is about right. Speedfan got the cpu temp right it appears.

i don't understand, do you mean coretemp?
  20. hell_storm2004 said:
    Yes it would, but mixed crossfire does have some scaling issues. Not to mention the HD5xxx cards had poor CF scaling.

you think its worth it for the price? it is of course second hand, for 160£, which i've never brought second hand computer components before.
  21. lixah said:
    i don't understand, do you mean coretemp?

In your original post you said you were getting a cpu temp of 30c in speedfan. That would point to Case temp or the reading at the heat spreader. Core temps are just that, a reading from the cores themselves, and is generally 5c or so hotter at idle than cpu temps.
  22. so speedfan is correct? and whatever 'system' is is 84C?
  23. No I was just saying that speedfan seemed to get the cpu reading correct. The core temp readings are wrong, and most likely the 84c reading is wrong as well.
  24. are you sure? coretemp + cpuid are the same exactly,
  25. Ok... When we first talked about it, you said 30c on the cpu. Then you checked temperatures with core temp and you said 35c. So I responded by saying that's about right, 5c hotter on the cores at idle is about right.
  26. aha, i get you: )
  27. I gave up on speedfan.
    Unless you really want to control fan speeds you are better off with a different temp monitor.
    Try Everest Home edition by Lavalys (freeware) and look under mobo sensor.
    Everest is very easy to understand. It descripitions of temps is better.
  28. thank you : )
  29. Even HWMonitor is a good one. Speedfan is ok only for controlling fan speeds. The temps are just an additive to the software i think! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Speedfan