Sign in with
Your question

SeaTools for DOS works, but two Dell diagnostics don't??

Last response: in Storage
December 12, 2012 3:53:40 PM

Trying to check a Seagate Barracuda ST3500620AS 500GB drive for any errors... when I used the Dell Diagnostics that are included on the Utility Partition, everything tests and passes pretty quickly, except for the hard drive, which ran for over 30 hours straight before I finally aborted it.

So, next I made the bootable CD of SeaTools for DOS and that only took a little less than 2 hours for that diagnostics to complete. Everything, including the hard drive passed.

I was still curious about why the first type of test I used was taking more than 30 hours, so I wanted to try another method. I started the online Dell Hardware Diagnostics (found HERE). I chose to only test the hard drive, an extended test. All the sections passed fairly quickly (within 10 minutes), up until the "S.M.A.R.T extended self test" part started and it has been running that for 5 hours now. That seems WAY too long to me. It's still running as I speak.

So I'm curious why SeaTools for DOS only took about 2 hours (and everything passed), but these two other diagnostics methods from Dell are taking so long??

I'm just trying to figure out if I should replace the drive before I give this computer away to someone.

The computer specs, in case that matters:

Dell Inspiron 530s (slimline tower), 250w PSU, Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 processor, MoBo is Dell OEM RY007/G33M02, 2GB RAM

Thanks in advance for any insight into this matter!
a c 79 G Storage
December 12, 2012 4:31:25 PM

Seagate's own diagnostic software will perform best on a Seagate drive I imagine, whereas the Dell Diagnostics is generic and I would expect it to take longer.

If the Seagate software gives the drive a clean bill of health that would be sufficient proof for me.
December 12, 2012 8:59:35 PM

phil22 said:
Seagate's own diagnostic software will perform best on a Seagate drive I imagine, whereas the Dell Diagnostics is generic and I would expect it to take longer.

If the Seagate software gives the drive a clean bill of health that would be sufficient proof for me.

Ah, I see. That makes sense. So I've now done a total of 3 hard drive tests using SeaTools for DOS and all passed and took less than 2 hours. I guess that probably is sufficient enough proof for me, too. Glad I don't have to buy a new drive!

Thanks for your help, Phil. :-)
!