  • Configuration
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
July 8, 2005 1:06:03 PM

Norton check is telling me that my drive was changed from C to C. It says
that a removable drive has been inserted or removed, or, a directory was
moved to a new drive causing drive C to appear as drive C. There are keys in
my registry that are referring to a missing file "C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Microsoft Shared\Themes\blank".
I've searched for help all over the net to no avail....

PLZ Help!!

More about : drive change

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 5:20:43 PM

"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Norton check is telling me that my drive was changed from C to C. It says
>that a removable drive has been inserted or removed, or, a directory was
>moved to a new drive causing drive C to appear as drive C. There are keys in
>my registry that are referring to a missing file "C:\Program Files\Common
>Files\Microsoft Shared\Themes\blank".

There is no problem with keys in the Registry pointing to missing
files. That is normal and you can repair it by deleting such keys with
the help of the jv16 Power Tools (http://www.macecraft.com/) or
another Registry cleaner.
Norton is no software that I recommend. I would scan the disk for
errors with CHKDSK instead. See "How to Perform Disk Error Checking in
Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315265).

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

I tried as you've suggested. I ran chkdsk on C & D drives. Checked the box
to auto fix before it scanned. After the scan, I ran Registry Mechanic 4.0.
It had found some other different errors but not a big deal. The problem that
I previously had looked like it was resolved. Then for another check I ran
Norton system check and the original problem showed up again...I know you're
not a Norton fan but I've been using it for years with great results keeping
my computer running smooth.

What do you think is going on?

"Larry" wrote:

> Norton check is telling me that my drive was changed from C to C. It says
> that a removable drive has been inserted or removed, or, a directory was
> moved to a new drive causing drive C to appear as drive C. There are keys in
> my registry that are referring to a missing file "C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\Microsoft Shared\Themes\blank".
> I've searched for help all over the net to no avail....
>
> PLZ Help!!
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 3:57:59 AM

"Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I tried as you've suggested. I ran chkdsk on C & D drives. Checked the box
>to auto fix before it scanned. After the scan, I ran Registry Mechanic 4.0.
>It had found some other different errors but not a big deal. The problem that
>I previously had looked like it was resolved. Then for another check I ran
>Norton system check and the original problem showed up again...I know you're
>not a Norton fan but I've been using it for years with great results keeping
>my computer running smooth.
>
>What do you think is going on?

There is a problem with the Norton software, so you should ask
Symantec about it. I would at first make sure that all updates are
installed for Norton.

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233