Are NAS drives usable as desktop drives?

amantes

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Hi, I'll be buying a new hdd to replace my old as a single boot drive. I'm going for a 2tb one as they are the cheapest cost-efficient solution in my country. I like the new Western Digital Red drives that are built around maximum reliability, which is what I'd like in a drive, but that's a series intended for NAS and there is very little information about using them as single desktop drives. Is it a good idea?
I was originally going to get a Green, but then I learned about the whole head-parking issue. And Blues only go up to 1tb.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi,

Basically no,

I've heard some people making them work but had issues while other had had no luck installing them.

If it's advised to put them in NAS, put them in NAS if you don't want trouble.

For my part, reliability is very important and that why I recommend getting a Western Digital black one.

You could get 2 X 1 TB unless you don't have any sata port avail.
(1 TB seems more reliable than 2 tb if you read newegg reviews.)

amantes

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

Hey, thanks for the fast response. I need a cheap drive, so I can't go higher than a single 1tb Black. I was avoiding 1tb drives because of their worse cost/space ratio. I'll be using it in an old computer and eventually in a low-budget new one, so I'm not aiming for performance benchmarks. I was going to get a green until I found about the head parking mess. Are Blacks worth their high price in my case?