Media Storage Solution

I am looking for a cheap media storage solution. I have accumulated around 1,600 DVD/Blue-rays over the past 15-20 years and I am looking to put these DVDs on my home network so that I can watch them on any of my devices (computers, tablets, smart phones, TVs, etc.). I already have software on my main desktop that can organize and stream my media to all of these devices and I have no issue with having my desktop on when I plan on doing any streaming. My issue is having enough storage space to include my large collection. I have looked at NAS storage but they are too expensive for me and don’t appear very flexible as far as adding additional storage at a later date. What I would like to do is use my router that includes a USB port (Linksys E4200V2 I believe is the model) to add additional storage to my network. Since the router only has 1 USB port I was planning on purchasing a $30 powered USB hub that includes 4 USB 3.0 ports. That way I could add 4 3TB external hard drives at about $140/piece. I would then have 12 TB of storage for about $590. One reason I really like this set-up is because I can start small with a $30 USB hub and $140 3 TB hard drive and then add drives at a later date. Also, if I wanted more than just 4 3TB hard drives I can just purchase a bigger USB hub with more USB slots for less than $100. Would I be able to stream good quality (720P) video with this type of set up? Do you foresee any issues?
1 answer Last reply
More about media storage solution
  1. That option will eventually saturate the single USB port on the router. Have you consider adding the drive to your existing PC or building a dedicated NAS device?
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Storage