XFX 5850 died while playing SC2?

breathless

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I was playing SC2 for about an hour when the screen went blank and said "No VGA Signal". My computer was still on at the time (light's and fans) but no sound so I turned it off. After a 30 minute cooldown, all my fans, lights and motherboard go on but no vga signal Prior to this, I was streaming on justin.tv for a couple hours with some emulator games. Did my gpu overheat or anything else? My cpu? This is the second time it has happened the past 2 weeks after a couple of hours of gaming, but unlike the other time after a 15-20 minute cooldown break, the monitor still doesn't pick up a signal. I haven't OC'd anything and at highest the card would get to 72-76c on really demanding games that I would catch when alt tabbing to check.

My specs:
AMD 955 BE / MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870
XFX HD-585X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850

I'm not sure what to do. I don't have another computer to test the gpu in. I have 15 days left to RMA it but I'm not even sure if that is the problem or not. Help!

In the meantime I will open it up to see if there's any loose connections. Anything else to look for?

Helltech

Distinguished
Unfortuanaly there is a bug in SCII that is making cards overheat, some guy was spamming the forums with it earlier, but its a real bug. If you have spent a lot of time in the menu it may have ate up your card. My cards were getting into like 90c in the menus before I fixed the bug.

breathless

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010

I'm running the fatality 550w psu. Fans and lights seem to work on everything including the gpu. No onboard video.

I'm not asking anyone to replace my card. This is my first built computer, and gaming pc ever. For all I know it might not be my gpu so posting here is ok. I will talk to xfx :)

breathless

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010

Ok, I opened her up and pushed in all the connectors even though none of them looked loose. I noticed my stock AMD Cpu fan gets loud and heard they get off balanced so I pushed it in more like AMD said to do. I switched the monitor to the second port of the card. I turned her on at it worked! Switched back to the first port, both work! When it died earlier, i did notice some of the sc2 textures were glitchy looking and frames dropped to 20 fps on all ultra settings.

The computer is lying on its side with the side panel off. I ran metro 2033 real quick and noticed the GPU is at 63c-65c, gpu cpu at 70% ish but the can is only running at 25-27%. Is that normal and how can I control the fan to set it at higher speeds? I rather have a loud computer than a dead gpu. Is there any programs to run and look to see if there has been any permanent damage? Once I alt tabbed and went back Metro was running all sluggish. Ran crysis on 1920x1080 resolution no aa, gamer settings and the card went up to 72c, 80% GPU and 30% fan speed after 15 minutes of play so I'm thinking ATI CCC isn't controlling its fan right?

I don't know if I should keep card...

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
72c is absolutely fine for a 5850, though if you want it cooler for peace in mind you can manually set it by opening CCC fom the tray icon, click advanced in the lower left corner if you haven't already then graphics tab -> overdrive -> enable manual fan control and set it whatever you want it to be.

you should uninstall your current drivers, then download and install driver sweeper, boot into safe mode then run driver sweeper and wipe every single file related to ati drivers in your hard drive.

then download and install the newest drivers from the amd website.

after all that i'd recommend to download furmark and run it for awhile to see if it crashes