Sign in with
Your question

HD4650 AGP 58 centigrade while idle?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 30, 2010 10:37:36 AM

I have HD4650 AGP , Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz , 1.5 gb ram. I will try overdrive on ATI catalyst but my Graphic card's idle tempareture is really high (around 58 C) What's wrong here? I need help...
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2010 1:46:55 PM

IMO, 4xxx series ran particularly warm, although it's not dangerously high.

More importantly, what temps are you getting @ load? If you are getting >80C, then you need to consider better cooling.

Remember, most cards are rated @ 100C, but you want to keep it as cool as possible for performance/longevity.

1. Was it always at this temp?
2. How big is your case?
3. Does it have good airflow?
4. Do you have good cable management?
5. When was the last time your cleaned your case/card?

m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2010 1:50:30 PM

Probably the fan speed is to slow. Nortmal the default setting is for "silent". Just open the overdrive window (as you plan on) and set it up to 4/50 %. Recheck with a program to verify it jumps up, I use furmark. I think there is a setting to base fan speed on % usage.
m
l
July 30, 2010 2:55:24 PM

hunuok said:
IMO, 4xxx series ran particularly warm, although it's not dangerously high.

More importantly, what temps are you getting @ load? If you are getting >80C, then you need to consider better cooling.

Remember, most cards are rated @ 100C, but you want to keep it as cool as possible for performance/longevity.

1. Was it always at this temp?
2. How big is your case?
3. Does it have good airflow?
4. Do you have good cable management?
5. When was the last time your cleaned your case/card?

1. Was it always at this temp? It's idle temp(56-58) When i use Furmark it goes up ( 80-85 when i run it for 5 min.)
2. How big is your case? Small i think.
3. Does it have good airflow? It has got one fan on the side. And Graphic card has its own fan.
4. Do you have good cable management? I have just bought a new PSU so cables are free now.
5. When was the last time your cleaned your case/card? I didn't try to clean it. Sometimes i just wipe in it with a cloth But i have never tried to clean on motherboard etc.

RetiredChief,

Is %75 OK for fan speed? Or is it too high?

Thanks for your answers
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2010 4:04:22 PM

(1) 75% is OK as long as temps are OK.
(2) The fan on the Side, is it intake, or Exhaust - Where is it located on the side panel?
My prefernce on fans is on at the rear (Exhaust and one on the front as intake. If the side is located top/rear of case, I would still add on on the rear. If side fan is centered on the side and is an intake, add rear. If centered and exhaust, chant to intake and add rear fan (exhaust). Also if posible add front intake - Not all cases allow for a front panel intack.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2010 4:19:13 PM

FurMark stresses the card beyond normal "everyday" temps.

85C is OK. Just.

As retiredchief mentioned, you should at least 1 intake fan (front) and 1 exhaust fan (rear).

The side fan should be intake.

I would just add another fan at the base of your case facing the card. Attach with double sided tape.

75% fan profile is a little too loud IMO. 50% is about the threshold.

Use air cleaner to maintain dust from case/components.
m
l
July 30, 2010 5:07:18 PM

Thank you for your helpful answers
m
l
!