Another Importing Character Question

Hi

I've imported a saved game from BG1 follwing your advice about copying a
saved game file. I've found that my experience points is only at about 9000
which I thought would be higher due to my having TOSC. Is there any way to
increase XP on imported characters, should I be importing a character as
opposed to a saved game?

Thanks

Brad

--
To email, substitute nospam with ukretailers
1 answer Last reply

    "Brad" <brad@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I've imported a saved game from BG1 follwing your advice about
    copying a
    > saved game file. I've found that my experience points is only at
    about 9000
    > which I thought would be higher due to my having TOSC. Is there any
    way to
    > increase XP on imported characters, should I be importing a
    character as
    > opposed to a saved game?

    Do you mean it was 89000, which is the BG1 XP cap?

    I suspect your problem was that the character file you imported, was
    made *too early* in the game. Remember also the following caveat:

    When the game "exports" your character to a file, and makes the
    Final-Save file at the end of BG1, this save is made BEFORE YOUR
    CHARACTER ENTERS THE TEMPLE OF BHAAL.

    Now... if you completed BG1, *before* playing through the TotSC areas
    (starting your TotSC explorations from the Final-Save), you will
    notice that you started outside the Temple. This is because you are
    starting from a time *just before* you killed Sarevok.

    If you then visit the TotSC areas, complete all the quests there, gain
    all the extra experience and items, and wish to import your character
    to BG2... the character file you will be importing, or the Final-Save
    saved-game you are importing, is based on the state of your character
    BEFORE he did all that - in other words, he was frozen in time just
    before killing Sarevok, and you did the entire "expansion" set with
    the game thinking that you had not yet killed Sarevok.

    So, AFTER finishing all the other quests - after finishing all the
    TotSC areas - you have to actually go back and kill Sarevok. From the
    perspective of you, the PLAYER, you're doing it "again". But from the
    perspective of the game, you're doing it for the first time. And when
    you enter that temple, your Final-Save (which was frozen in time at
    the time you finished vanilla-BG1) and the exported character file
    "char1.chr" will be overwritten by the character you actually possess,
    who has all the extra experience and items from completing the TotSC
    areas. If you do this, then what you're exporting will indeed be the
    "latest" version of your BG1 character: otherwise, what you are
    exporting will be an "earlier" version of your BG1 character, dating
    back to a time when he had less experience.

    In other words, if you want all that extra XP from TotSC with an
    imported character, you have to do it with a character for whom
    *entering the temple of Bhaal under the Baldurs Gate Thieves Guild was
    the LAST thing you did with that character, TotSC areas included*.

    If you still have the last saved-game OTHER than the final-save, that
    was made by your BG1 character - one who had completed all the quests,
    including the TotSC ones, and had reached the full BG1/TotSC-Expanded
    XP cap of 161,000 XP - then restore that game, and walk your
    characters physically through the door and into the Temple of Bhaal to
    face Sarevok "again" (or, as the game thinks, for the first time). It
    doesn't matter, for importing purposes, whether you actually play on
    AFTER entering the temple, and bother to kill Sarevok: the savefile
    and the exported character are made when you enter the temple.

    (If you're still concerned, just before doing this - i.e. while you
    are standing outside the door - choose the "Export Character" option
    from the character screen, give it a name of your choice, and export
    that one. But make absolutely damn sure that the character you are
    exporting, has 161,000 XP at the moment of exporting.)

    After that, THEN is when to transfer the Final-Save over to the saved
    games folder of BG2, or the CHAR1.CHR file (or the one you made
    yourself) over to the Characters folder of BG2. You should then have
    the full complement of 161,000 XP.

    If it doesn't work with the exported character, use the savefile
    instead.

    Jonathan.

Games Email Windows XP Video Games