Laptop-to-Printer problem? ?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 18, 2004 12:30:45 AM

A friend just got a new Dell laptop which doesn't have a parallel printer
port.

We got one of those mini-docks and when we plug in her HP LaserJet6L, the
system recognizes and installs the printer.

But when we try to print, nothing happens -- just sits there.

Any ideas welcome

More about : laptop printer problem

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 18, 2004 12:30:46 AM

"Ray Jenkins" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote:
>We got one of those mini-docks and when we plug in her HP LaserJet6L, the
>system recognizes and installs the printer.

Does it print a test page?

I just ran an upgrade assistant on a Win2K machine, and it told me
that LaserJet 4/5/6 printers were not supported on WinXP(sp2), though
my WinXP laptop prints fine to a LaserJet 4MPlus on a Win2K print
server. On the other tentacle, my XP machine knows about the 6L, so
maybe it's something else.

You've checked all the obvious things, like printer port settings,
IEEE cables, paper, toner, etc? Does the printer work with this cable
on another computer?

According to http://www.advancedlaser.net/errorcode/error5l6l.htm the
printer will print a self-test page when the front panel button is
pushed...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 18, 2004 12:30:46 AM

Ray Jenkins wrote:
> A friend just got a new Dell laptop which doesn't have a parallel
printer
> port.
>
> We got one of those mini-docks and when we plug in her HP LaserJet6L,
the
> system recognizes and installs the printer.
>
> But when we try to print, nothing happens -- just sits there.
>
> Any ideas welcome

By "mini-dock" do you mean a USB port replicator, perchance?

If so, and you're using XP-well,that was a dumb thing for me to say;
what else WOULD you be using on a new Dell?-you might try disabling
bidirectional printing in the printer driver. My Canon BJC-50 did the
same thing when I began connecting it via the parallel port on such a
replicator. Something about this not being compatible with the
"virtual printer port" that XP creates to allow you to print via USB
with legacy (read parallel interface) equipment, I think. Also, if
you've connected the replicator to more than one of your USB ports with
the printer hooked up, XP may have tried to install it more than once,
as it did on my machine. This should be OK, however, provided you
uncheck the bidirectional option for each one, and remember to choose
the right one for the port you're connected to. If this is the mistake
you're making, however, you should be getting an error message.

One more possibility. Make sure you're not trying to use the printer
offline; i.e., simply loading the documents into the queue for later
printing, without realizing it. Double-click the printer icon in your
system tray to open the queue, then click the "Printer" menu item and
make sure "Use printer offline" is NOT checked.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 18, 2004 4:22:34 AM

Thanks WPNS --

I know the LaserJet 6L works with Windows XP, because it does with my
laptop -- although mine does have a standard parallel port.

Everything seems perfect except that it won't print. Not even a test page,
and it won't even give an error message.

I thought of going the wireless route, but that would be an unnecessary
expense and besides, I'm constantly having to reset mine.

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Ray Jenkins" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote:
>>We got one of those mini-docks and when we plug in her HP LaserJet6L, the
>>system recognizes and installs the printer.
>
> Does it print a test page?
>
> I just ran an upgrade assistant on a Win2K machine, and it told me
> that LaserJet 4/5/6 printers were not supported on WinXP(sp2), though
> my WinXP laptop prints fine to a LaserJet 4MPlus on a Win2K print
> server. On the other tentacle, my XP machine knows about the 6L, so
> maybe it's something else.
>
> You've checked all the obvious things, like printer port settings,
> IEEE cables, paper, toner, etc? Does the printer work with this cable
> on another computer?
>
> According to http://www.advancedlaser.net/errorcode/error5l6l.htm the
> printer will print a self-test page when the front panel button is
> pushed...

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 18, 2004 6:52:37 PM

Ray Jenkins wrote:
> Thanks kct --
>
> I think you have put me on the right trail --
>
> but the problem is, I can't seem to find how to uncheck the
bi-directional
> option. I've looked under printer properties, but don't find it.
>
> If you can give me a little further guidance, we might have this
problem
> solved.

Sorry I'm just now seeing this and responding even later. Gotta post
through Google until I can find another cheap local ISP to whom Usenet
is still important.

Anyway, go to Start->Settings->Printers and Faxes, then highlight your
printer and click "Set printer properties" under "Printer Tasks" to the
left. You can also simply right-click the printer and then click
"Properties" in the right-click menu.

Then, on the "Ports" tab, highlight the port your printer uses and make
sure the check box to the left of "Enable bidirectional support" at the
lower left is NOT checked. If it was checked and you uncheck it, this
very well may solve your problem. Click the "Apply" button (don't
forget this and simply close out the box!) followed by the "OK" button
and you're done.
Sure hope this turns out to be what's wrong. Again, good luck.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 18, 2004 7:04:14 PM

Ray Jenkins wrote:
> Thanks kct --
>
> I think you have put me on the right trail --
>
> but the problem is, I can't seem to find how to uncheck the
bi-directional
> option. I've looked under printer properties, but don't find it.
>
> If you can give me a little further guidance, we might have this
problem
> solved.

Sorry I'm just now seeing this and responding even later. Gotta post
through Google until I can find another cheap local ISP to whom Usenet
is still important.

Anyway, go to Start->Settings->Printers and Faxes, then highlight your
printer and click "Set printer properties" under "Printer Tasks" to the
left. You can also simply right-click the printer and then click
"Properties" in the right-click menu.

Then, on the "Ports" tab, highlight the port your printer uses and make
sure the check box to the left of "Enable bidirectional support" at the
lower left is NOT checked. If it was checked and you uncheck it, this
very well may solve your problem. Click the "Apply" button (don't
forget this and simply close out the box!) followed by the "OK" button
and you're done.
Sure hope this turns out to be what's wrong. Again, good luck.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 19, 2004 2:16:26 AM

Thanks kct --

I think you have put me on the right trail --

but the problem is, I can't seem to find how to uncheck the bi-directional
option. I've looked under printer properties, but don't find it.

If you can give me a little further guidance, we might have this problem
solved.

-- Ray
<kcutccbfoon@mailinator.com> wrote in message

> Ray Jenkins wrote:
>> A friend just got a new Dell laptop which doesn't have a parallel
> printer
>> port.
>>
>> We got one of those mini-docks and when we plug in her HP LaserJet6L,
> the
>> system recognizes and installs the printer.
>>
>> But when we try to print, nothing happens -- just sits there.
>>
>> Any ideas welcome
>
> By "mini-dock" do you mean a USB port replicator, perchance?
>
> If so, and you're using XP-well,that was a dumb thing for me to say;
> what else WOULD you be using on a new Dell?-you might try disabling
> bidirectional printing in the printer driver. My Canon BJC-50 did the
> same thing when I began connecting it via the parallel port on such a
> replicator. Something about this not being compatible with the
> "virtual printer port" that XP creates to allow you to print via USB
> with legacy (read parallel interface) equipment, I think. Also, if
> you've connected the replicator to more than one of your USB ports with
> the printer hooked up, XP may have tried to install it more than once,
> as it did on my machine. This should be OK, however, provided you
> uncheck the bidirectional option for each one, and remember to choose
> the right one for the port you're connected to. If this is the mistake
> you're making, however, you should be getting an error message.
>
> One more possibility. Make sure you're not trying to use the printer
> offline; i.e., simply loading the documents into the queue for later
> printing, without realizing it. Double-click the printer icon in your
> system tray to open the queue, then click the "Printer" menu item and
> make sure "Use printer offline" is NOT checked.
> Hope this helps. Good luck.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 19, 2004 12:55:23 PM

Ray Jenkins wrote:
> Hi --
>
> I tried your suggestions. Something very strange.
>
> On my laptop, I have no trouble at all following your instructions.
>
> But on my friend's laptop -- the one with the problem -- when I click

> printer properties, I get an entirely different screen. This one
gives me no
> tab entitled "Ports" and hence I can't uncheck the bidirectional
command.

In that case, I'd have to say that one of the posters below (again,
sorry I'm just now replying) may be onto something with the suggestion
that your printer's driver installation may be corrupt. Try deleting
it and then powering off the laptop, then hooking up the printer and
powering IT on first, then power the laptop back up and see if it
doesn't detect and install the printer on its own. Unless the printer
is an absolute dinosaur, XP should find it and properly configure the
driver automatically if you've got it properly connected. If this
doesn't work your best bet may be to check the printer manufacturer's
website to see if they've got an XP driver for it, or can offer any
more help. If worse comes to worst,there's always Google. Someone
else somewhere in the world has almost certainly run into the same
problem with the same hardware, and that's probably the best way to
find out how they handled it.

Sorry this has turned into such an adventure. But take heart-there's a
way out; it's just a matter of finding it. Believe me, after a decade
and a half of messing around with this stuff, I know the feeling. Then
again, I just managed to get my Canon BJC-50 working with infrared
again after switching to Windows XP-something I'd been told couldn't be
done. It's the way you feel when you finally win one that makes it all
worthwhile. Good luck once more.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 19, 2004 3:00:04 PM

Thanks again -- I will pursue that approach as soon as I get over to my
friends house. Sounds promising.

I'm not sure what you meant by getting another cheap local ISP, but I find
www.access-4-free.com to be a wonderful service which I use as a dial-up
alternative to my high-speed service.

You have to pay a small set-up fee, but after that, the service is free for
the first 10 hours, then $1 an hour until you reach a monthly maximum of
$10.

Hard to beat.

> Ray Jenkins wrote:
>> Thanks kct --
>>
>> I think you have put me on the right trail --
>>
>> but the problem is, I can't seem to find how to uncheck the
> bi-directional
>> option. I've looked under printer properties, but don't find it.
>>
>> If you can give me a little further guidance, we might have this
> problem
>> solved.
>
> Sorry I'm just now seeing this and responding even later. Gotta post
> through Google until I can find another cheap local ISP to whom Usenet
> is still important.
>
> Anyway, go to Start->Settings->Printers and Faxes, then highlight your
> printer and click "Set printer properties" under "Printer Tasks" to the
> left. You can also simply right-click the printer and then click
> "Properties" in the right-click menu.
>
> Then, on the "Ports" tab, highlight the port your printer uses and make
> sure the check box to the left of "Enable bidirectional support" at the
> lower left is NOT checked. If it was checked and you uncheck it, this
> very well may solve your problem. Click the "Apply" button (don't
> forget this and simply close out the box!) followed by the "OK" button
> and you're done.
> Sure hope this turns out to be what's wrong. Again, good luck.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 19, 2004 6:09:04 PM

Hi --

I tried your suggestions. Something very strange.

On my laptop, I have no trouble at all following your instructions.

But on my friend's laptop -- the one with the problem -- when I click
printer properties, I get an entirely different screen. This one gives me no
tab entitled "Ports" and hence I can't uncheck the bidirectional command.

If you have any further ideas, let me know.

Thanks again for the help.
<kcutccbfoon@mailinator.com> wrote in message

> Ray Jenkins wrote:
>> Thanks kct --
>>
>> I think you have put me on the right trail --
>>
>> but the problem is, I can't seem to find how to uncheck the
> bi-directional
>> option. I've looked under printer properties, but don't find it.
>>
>> If you can give me a little further guidance, we might have this
> problem
>> solved.
>
> Sorry I'm just now seeing this and responding even later. Gotta post
> through Google until I can find another cheap local ISP to whom Usenet
> is still important.
>
> Anyway, go to Start->Settings->Printers and Faxes, then highlight your
> printer and click "Set printer properties" under "Printer Tasks" to the
> left. You can also simply right-click the printer and then click
> "Properties" in the right-click menu.
>
> Then, on the "Ports" tab, highlight the port your printer uses and make
> sure the check box to the left of "Enable bidirectional support" at the
> lower left is NOT checked. If it was checked and you uncheck it, this
> very well may solve your problem. Click the "Apply" button (don't
> forget this and simply close out the box!) followed by the "OK" button
> and you're done.
> Sure hope this turns out to be what's wrong. Again, good luck.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 19, 2004 6:09:05 PM

Ray Jenkins wrote:
> Hi --
>
> I tried your suggestions. Something very strange.
>
> On my laptop, I have no trouble at all following your instructions.
>
> But on my friend's laptop -- the one with the problem -- when I click
> printer properties, I get an entirely different screen. This one
> gives me no tab entitled "Ports" and hence I can't uncheck the
> bidirectional command.
> If you have any further ideas, let me know.
>
> Thanks again for the help.
> <kcutccbfoon@mailinator.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Ray Jenkins wrote:
>>> Thanks kct --
>>>
>>> I think you have put me on the right trail --
>>>
>>> but the problem is, I can't seem to find how to uncheck the
>>> bi-directional option. I've looked under printer properties, but
>>> don't find it. If you can give me a little further guidance, we
>>> might have this
>> problem
>>> solved.
>>
>> Sorry I'm just now seeing this and responding even later. Gotta post
>> through Google until I can find another cheap local ISP to whom
>> Usenet is still important.
>>
>> Anyway, go to Start->Settings->Printers and Faxes, then highlight
>> your printer and click "Set printer properties" under "Printer
>> Tasks" to the left. You can also simply right-click the printer and
>> then click "Properties" in the right-click menu.
>>
>> Then, on the "Ports" tab, highlight the port your printer uses and
>> make sure the check box to the left of "Enable bidirectional
>> support" at the lower left is NOT checked. If it was checked and
>> you uncheck it, this very well may solve your problem. Click the
>> "Apply" button (don't forget this and simply close out the box!)
>> followed by the "OK" button and you're done.
>> Sure hope this turns out to be what's wrong. Again, good luck.

If there is no Ports tab, then it is possible that the printer has not
been installed properly, at least in XP. Normally, every printer should
have a port associated with it, and that might be the problem. Check
the interface installation instructions - perhaps there is a driver that
needs to be installed, or a setup application that enables the correct
port description and properties.

Also open the printers and faxes control panel, select the File/Server
Properties, Ports tab, and see if the printer and port show up there.

I would try reinstalling the printer, but first, delete the printer
itself, and then check the Server Properties and delete anything
refering to the printer, i.e., any port (which likely isn't there, but
this is a largely undocumented XP printer removal requirement that
unless done, will continually cause a failed printer reinstallation).

a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 19, 2004 8:40:14 PM

Thanks Q --

This is the most mystifying thing I've ever encountered. I even downloaded
new software & drivers from HP and it does nothing to solve my problem.

I have found this: Even though I can't find the bidirectional option to
uncheck, I do have an option under "spooling" to "print directly to
printer" -- or some such.

Do you suppose if I try that it might work? (I'm not at my friend's computer
at the moment.)

> Ray Jenkins wrote:
>> Hi --
>>
>> I tried your suggestions. Something very strange.
>>
>> On my laptop, I have no trouble at all following your instructions.
>>
>> But on my friend's laptop -- the one with the problem -- when I click
>> printer properties, I get an entirely different screen. This one
>> gives me no tab entitled "Ports" and hence I can't uncheck the
>> bidirectional command.
>> If you have any further ideas, let me know.
>>
>> Thanks again for the help.
>> <kcutccbfoon@mailinator.com> wrote in message

>>> problem
>>>
>>> Sorry I'm just now seeing this and responding even later. Gotta post
>>> through Google until I can find another cheap local ISP to whom
>>> Usenet is still important.
>>>
>>> Anyway, go to Start->Settings->Printers and Faxes, then highlight
>>> your printer and click "Set printer properties" under "Printer
>>> Tasks" to the left. You can also simply right-click the printer and
>>> then click "Properties" in the right-click menu.
>>>
>>> Then, on the "Ports" tab, highlight the port your printer uses and
>>> make sure the check box to the left of "Enable bidirectional
>>> support" at the lower left is NOT checked. If it was checked and
>>> you uncheck it, this very well may solve your problem. Click the
>>> "Apply" button (don't forget this and simply close out the box!)
>>> followed by the "OK" button and you're done.
>>> Sure hope this turns out to be what's wrong. Again, good luck.
>
> If there is no Ports tab, then it is possible that the printer has not
> been installed properly, at least in XP. Normally, every printer should
> have a port associated with it, and that might be the problem. Check the
> interface installation instructions - perhaps there is a driver that needs
> to be installed, or a setup application that enables the correct port
> description and properties.
>
> Also open the printers and faxes control panel, select the File/Server
> Properties, Ports tab, and see if the printer and port show up there.
>
> I would try reinstalling the printer, but first, delete the printer
> itself, and then check the Server Properties and delete anything refering
> to the printer, i.e., any port (which likely isn't there, but this is a
> largely undocumented XP printer removal requirement that unless done, will
> continually cause a failed printer reinstallation).

a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 19, 2004 9:39:24 PM

Thanks for all the help -- I've tried everything everyone has suggested, to
no avail.

I'm about to conclude that the 1997 HP LaserJet 6L -- a real workhorse of a
laser printer -- has now become obsolete.

> Ray Jenkins wrote:
>> Hi --
>>
>> I tried your suggestions. Something very strange.
>>
>> On my laptop, I have no trouble at all following your instructions.
>>
>> But on my friend's laptop -- the one with the problem -- when I click
>
>> printer properties, I get an entirely different screen. This one
> gives me no
>> tab entitled "Ports" and hence I can't uncheck the bidirectional
> command.
>
> In that case, I'd have to say that one of the posters below (again,
> sorry I'm just now replying) may be onto something with the suggestion
> that your printer's driver installation may be corrupt. Try deleting
> it and then powering off the laptop, then hooking up the printer and
> powering IT on first, then power the laptop back up and see if it
> doesn't detect and install the printer on its own. Unless the printer
> is an absolute dinosaur, XP should find it and properly configure the
> driver automatically if you've got it properly connected. If this
> doesn't work your best bet may be to check the printer manufacturer's
> website to see if they've got an XP driver for it, or can offer any
> more help. If worse comes to worst,there's always Google. Someone
> else somewhere in the world has almost certainly run into the same
> problem with the same hardware, and that's probably the best way to
> find out how they handled it.
>
> Sorry this has turned into such an adventure. But take heart-there's a
> way out; it's just a matter of finding it. Believe me, after a decade
> and a half of messing around with this stuff, I know the feeling. Then
> again, I just managed to get my Canon BJC-50 working with infrared
> again after switching to Windows XP-something I'd been told couldn't be
> done. It's the way you feel when you finally win one that makes it all
> worthwhile. Good luck once more.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
December 20, 2004 1:23:09 AM

Ray Jenkins <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote:
> Thanks for all the help -- I've tried everything everyone has
> suggested, to no avail.

Have you checked the laptop's parallel port BIOS settings? Are you certain
that the printer hasn't accidentally been configured as a network device?
That's what the problem sounds like to me.

> I'm about to conclude that the 1997 HP LaserJet 6L -- a real
> workhorse of a laser printer -- has now become obsolete.

Difficult to believe, I'm using a 6P/MP (same generation) daily with my
laptop running XP. Both directly connected via a port replicator or
frequently via the IR port.

--
Regards,

James