• CPUs
  • Cooling
  • Fan
  • Thermaltake
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 5:36:38 PM

I've installed a Thermaltake Contac so the fan is exhausting up under the top fan in my Antec Two Hundred. Is this the right position or should I flip the fan so it faces the GPU? Or should it face the rear fan? Here is an image:

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/784/img20101127001.j...

More about : cpu cooler wrong installed

November 26, 2010 5:47:32 PM

normally it should touch the cpu, to cool with the best results
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 5:51:36 PM

It is, but which direction should the fan be facing?
m
l
Related resources
a c 105 à CPUs
November 26, 2010 6:08:19 PM

set the fan (if you can fit it) to push air across the heatsink. the 140mm fan on the top of the case will pull the hot air out of the case

other wise you have two fans set at different speeds next to each other and that often disrupts airflow
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
November 26, 2010 6:13:04 PM

yes

like this three hundred set up

m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 6:15:39 PM

Thanks. Last question, should I reapply the thermal paste into a thin layer like the manual recommends with a bit of card or a small drop in the middle that spreads out?
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
November 26, 2010 6:19:55 PM

either way will work just fine. I personally prefer making a thin "X" on the CPU but I've tried every way and the results are always the identical. The most important thing is to use just enough paste rather then over doing it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 6:30:21 PM

Just for thought, I have read some heat-sink benchmarks with heat-pipe coolers and they have said positioning the heat-pipes so they are working across a horizontal plain and not a vertical plain, they perform a few degrees C better because of the cooling agent in the heat-pipes not having to overcome gravity.

It is up to you to make judgement, but if you want to get every little bit of colling, maybe try to run some benchmarks on your own PC to see what position cools the best for you.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 6:31:36 PM

Thanks for all the answers! Time to reapply.
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
November 26, 2010 6:39:28 PM

thechief73 said:
Just for thought, I have read some heat-sink benchmarks with heat-pipe coolers and they have said positioning the heat-pipes so they are working across a vertical plain and not a horizontal plain, they perform a few degrees C better because of not having to overcome gravity.

...shouldn't gravity have an equal effect on the HSF
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 6:54:00 PM

ct1615 said:
...shouldn't gravity have an equal effect on the HSF
Sorry, I did make a big typo in my first post and it has been edited to be correct.

But...I was referring to the horizontal or vertical orientation of the heat-pipes themselves, which in one position the cooling agent they use in the heat-pipes will be traveling across a vertical plain and the other a horizontal plain(HERE is a link to a large picture, I didn't want to load it on the thread) of the supposed better position in the context of better cooling performance out of the heat-pipes.

I will try to locate the article I am referring to.

[UPDATE] - This is not the article I read but it does prove the same point, but due to the design of the HSF they used the results were amplified. http://vr-zone.com/articles/Scythe_Zipang_-_Super_Size_...!!/5536-5.html
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 7:28:54 PM

I installed the cooler the way Thermaltake specified, down to the Tt. I couldn't mount it the other way due to the socket. It is facing my 6870:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/8223/img20101127002....

Idle temps are 33 celsius down from 40 when the fan was the other way. RPM's is down to 1180 or so from 1300rpm. I will also install a front Antec TriCool 120mm. Does this look right?
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
November 26, 2010 7:50:13 PM

yes looks fine
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2010 8:34:17 PM

I shifted the cooler back a slight bit before clamping, and as far as I can see the heatpipes are properly positioned. Anyway, thanks for all the help.
m
l
!