Split second blue screen and continuous restarts after memory upgrade

armuk

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Hi all,

I recently upgraded the memory on my aging Compaq Presario 905US (with Windows XP) from 240MB (which is how i bought it) to 752MB by adding a 512MB memory board. My manual says "Each slot (there are 2) supports a PC2100-compliant 128-Megabyte, 256-Megabyte, or 512-Megabyte DDR memory board" so I bought a a 512MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz SO-DIMM board from Amazon (this one -> http://amzn.to/5cmVru).

But now, my computer won't turn on. Each time I turn it on it says 'Windows did not start successfully' and I'm directed a menu and prompted to select Safe mode, last known good configuration or start normally. If I select last known good configuration or start normally, a blue screen appears for a split second, then the computer restarts, and the process starts again.

I tried safe mode and it does work, and I was able to confirm that the new memory has been detected, as memory now shows as 752MB.

So it doesn't seem to be a compatibility kind of problem, so I am now a bit stuck as to what to do. Though safe mode works, it is impractical to use so I would like a way to use the normal mode.

Any advice/help would be gratefully received!!

armuk

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Erm I'm a bit of a newbie to memory/upgrades and I don't really know what voltage and timings of memory are or how to check them...

With the just the new stick, the same thing as before happens (split second blue screen, continuous restarts). But with just the old stick it seems to work fine.

I'm saying that two sticks of different voltage or timings will not usually work right together, but why it won't work with JUST the new stick, I have no idea.

Did you try the new stick in the same slot that the old stick works fine in?

armuk

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Yes the new stick in the old stick's slot still doesn't work.

Just a guess, but perhaps the computer itself has certain fixed settings which the old stick corresponds with (maybe the voltage/timings you mention?) but the new stick does not and maybe has different settings?

armuk

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Also, if it helps, this is what the blue screen says:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x80000003, 0x804FEF70, 0xF79B6144, 0xF79B5E40)

armuk

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Thanks for the help.

Yes I think the memory may just be faulty or incompatible (for whatever reason, since it should be fine on paper). I'll probably buy and try some other memory and see if it works, hopefully with some better luck.

Thanks again for the replies, I'm very grateful. :)