SSD and hard drives

Uitius

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
hello, i know this is a noob question to do with SSD's but im a little confused. when a system has a SSD and a hard drive, how do you chose which one to store on when intalling something, such as a game. also, i would install my operating system onto the SSD but how would you chose for it to load onto the SSD, not the hard drive (the only things i would want on the SSD were the operationg system and games i play a lot). the only thing i can think of is if you unplug the hard drive every time you want the program to intall on the SSD but there must a an easier way. once again sorry for the noob question. :)

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
When installing your OS you'll be asked "What storage device do you want to use" or some such, pick the SSD from the list (if thats what you want).

For games (and all other programs) you'll be asked where you want to install it. Just change the drive letter from C to D (or whatever your target HDD/SSD is labled) and install away.

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005

You will be asked where you want to install steam. Once steam is installed it will put your default steam game installation in the same folder as steam was installed. But you can change where each game installs - steam will ask you if you want to install to a different directory.