Your question

Is this any good?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2010 11:26:41 AM

Hi all,

This is proberly in the wrong senction but here goes:

With the realease of SC2 I have decided that now is a good time to get into PC gaming.

I have found a PC that seems good, here are the specs:

Processor

* Intel® Core™2 Quad Q8300 2.50GHz
* 4MB Cache

Memory

* 4 GB of DDR2 800MHz SDRAM
* 4 x DIMM slot

Hard Drive

* 750GB SATA

Graphics

* NVIDIA GT230 (1.5GB DDR2) up to 2827MBMB DVI,VGA,HDMI
* PCI Express® 2.0 x16 graphics card support

I know that the GT230 is a good graphics card but will it run well with the processor?? (This is the problem with my current PC, the processor won't be able to handle a new graphics card)

Will it also be able to run games such as Starcraft 2 and Call of Duty 4.

Thanks

More about : good

a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2010 11:51:00 AM

How much is that costing? It's all old technology and the graphics car is terrible, I would not class it as a gaming card.

If interested in a build for starcraft...have you considered building your own? If you head over to the Homebuilt section of the forums and state budget and monitor resolution you will get lots of great answers. Even if you wont build yourself you will get great opinions on a build you are looking for within your price range.

I would expect you could get an AMD RANA x3 440, DDR3 and a better Graphics card for the same kind of price as you are to pay for that

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2010 12:00:41 PM

Ok, thanks for the replies.

Can anyone suggest a computer then?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2010 12:19:12 PM

hard to know without an actualy budget, but as a standard budget build:
CPU: RANA 440 - $77
RAM: G Skill 4gb 1600mhz - $105
GPU: 5770 PSU: OCZ 600W - $200
Motherboard: Asus 770 - $66
DVD drive - $22
Antec 300 case - $65

Total: $535

Money can be saved by getting a cheaper case. You can get a weaker PSU, however, the deal for the 5770 with the PSU is a bargain (PSU costs you $30). You could get a weaker GPU without Direct X 11 like a GT250 if you have to save more.
The RAM I picked is some of the best, again if you need to save money you can buy a cheaper brand/slower RAM or even go with just 2gb (though I would not recommend that)

All this is just from Newegg so you can easily look around yourself. If you are wanting a prebuilt then hopefully someone else can help you as I don't pay much attention to them due to the crap parts used and the overpriced cost
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 30, 2010 12:33:47 PM

Yes, I would highly recommend building your own. It's really not that difficult and you will and up with a system that is both better and cheaper. The hardest part is knowing what components to use and that is what we are here for. Tell us how much you want to spend and if you need a monitor and/or a copy of Windows. If oyu already have a monitor you will be using tell us its native resolution.
!