Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sapphire HD5850 & Windows 7

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 30, 2010 11:36:46 AM

Hi Guyz

Wondering if anyone can help as i'm gonna throw this card thru the window!
Ive just upgraded from a GTS250 to this HD5850 hopin that big improvements would happen....BUT not :fou: 
I've reinstalled Win7 Ultimatex64 and even tried Home Premiumx32 and updated both mobo drivers and win7 and then when i try to install 10.7 drivers(and tried standalone without CCC) it gets to the windows 7 screen then thats it!
ive rang the shop and they aint got a clue and ive tried sapphire who are even more useless

Has anyone got any idea's?

Thx and appologies if this has already been asked

System:
I7 920
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R Mobo
6Gb OCZ Ram
4x Samsung F3 1TB HD's
1x Sony DVDRW
Creative Audigy Fatality
OCZ 700W PSU
Sapphire HD5850 Vapor-X 1GB
July 30, 2010 1:53:43 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums
Download an older driver like Catalyst 10.6/10.5, if you can't get to windows then try safe mode,otherwise reinstall windows and install the driver again
July 30, 2010 2:20:56 PM

Hi thx for responding

I've tried 10.6 and it goes into safe mode ok but not into windows itself........in the last hour or so i thought i'd try it in Vista Ultimate x64 and it works!!??!!! but i dont like vista as its slower than 7 or am i wrong?

This is really annoying as wots the point of having Win7 and a 5850 and not being able to use them together :fou: 
Related resources
July 30, 2010 2:54:12 PM

When you reinstalled, did you do an upgrade or custom (clean) install.

You may have NVIDIA remnants on your rig.

Do a custom (clean) install. Format partitions/discs to make sure.

Hang in there.

Good luck.

Best solution

July 30, 2010 3:10:31 PM

I'm not sure if it's the same, but at one point I randomly had it happen where going into Windows 7 64bit it would be going fine, I'd see the windows loading screen, and then at the login screen my monitor would go blank although I could still hear the sounds, and by putting in my password I could load windows... I just couldn't see anything. I was able to startup in safemode fine but no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to work properly... a clean install did the trick.

Make sure you run Driver Sweeper to completely remove all ATI and NV drivers while in safe mode, then try booting up normally and installing maybe 10.4 drivers.
July 31, 2010 9:51:22 AM

hunuok said:
When you reinstalled, did you do an upgrade or custom (clean) install.

You may have NVIDIA remnants on your rig.

Do a custom (clean) install. Format partitions/discs to make sure.

Hang in there.

Good luck.

I did i Custom install....even deleted the partition etc..................
July 31, 2010 9:56:45 AM

wolfram23 said:
I'm not sure if it's the same, but at one point I randomly had it happen where going into Windows 7 64bit it would be going fine, I'd see the windows loading screen, and then at the login screen my monitor would go blank although I could still hear the sounds, and by putting in my password I could load windows... I just couldn't see anything. I was able to startup in safemode fine but no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to work properly... a clean install did the trick.

Make sure you run Driver Sweeper to completely remove all ATI and NV drivers while in safe mode, then try booting up normally and installing maybe 10.4 drivers.

Will give 10.4 a go and i have tried using driver sweeper, but 1st i may try the drivers that came with the card to see if that works??

The shop has offered a replacement but unsure wot to do, persivere or change to another card or go back to nvidia
August 1, 2010 10:59:51 AM

HEY i've fixed it!!!!!
Wolfram23 gave me an idea as i could get the mouse to show on screen, so i knew it had to be in the graphics settings. Added my tv to the 2nd DVI which seemed to work(?) checked the screen res and noticed it was lookin for the 3rd screen as default, changed to screen 1 and BINGO!!!

Maybe i should we both should work for Sapphire as they didnt have a clue
August 1, 2010 11:59:39 PM

Best answer selected by ejaymax.
!