Sign in with
Your question

Best raid controller

Last response: in Storage
December 12, 2012 8:51:30 PM

Hi all,
I just put together my extreme enthusiast computer! I had a question about raid controllers since Ive heard that dedicated ones preform much better than motherboard ones.
I want to know regardless of price, what the best RAID controller is? I will be using RAID 10 with samsung 840 pro ssds(512 gbs each). Also, I will have another 2 velociraptor 1 tb drives as storage drives. Can I set those in raid 0 separate from the RAID 10 setup? Would it be better if I bought a third velociraptor and used RAID 5 as my storage?

Also, Im not familiar with SATA Hot swap. Is the rIVe compatible with it(im pretty sure it is)? Would it be better for a dedicated hot swap controller to maintain it? Im pretty sure the mobo has a controller but I want to be sure since my case(the RV02e) has a dedicated external hot swap bay.

More about : raid controller

a b G Storage
December 13, 2012 1:22:42 PM

Best RAID controller to add an extra 'e' to your extreme rig would be "Nytro MegaRAID NMR 8120-4i". That should definitely give you bragging rights on build cost.

RAID controller primarily excel at parity calculation, which is not required for RAID1+0. RAID5 would definitely benefit, however RAID5 should not be considered for performance. You may see some inflated performance boost regardless of RAID level due to the onboard cache on a decent RAID controller, but that boost will not be of much benefit on a desktop, no matter how extreme.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 13, 2012 1:42:24 PM

$7,000.00 RAID controller in a home desktop rig... interesting recommendation indeed
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 13, 2012 1:52:05 PM

blacktiger826 said:

I want to know regardless of price, what the best RAID controller is?

The recommendation is based on the OP request and for the fact that he already has an 'extreme enthusiast computer'. Going cheap would tarnish that extremeness.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 13, 2012 1:54:51 PM

He did say regardless of price.
m
l
a c 84 G Storage
December 13, 2012 1:59:00 PM

Skip the separate raid controller and the SSDs and use a LSI Nytro WarpDrive instead?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 13, 2012 2:02:32 PM

Well then, enjoy 1% utilization of a DC-grade RAID controller ;) 
m
l
December 13, 2012 9:30:21 PM

Nothing_But_NAS said:
Best RAID controller to add an extra 'e' to your extreme rig would be "Nytro MegaRAID NMR 8120-4i". That should definitely give you bragging rights on build cost.

haha nice....7000 dollars is an expensive controller!(not as in its something I wont look at, but I doubt i need it at all) but its an option. Its not so much the cost as in what the point would be.
3 questions
1. Whats the difference between the nytro and this one http://www.areca.com.tw/products/1882.htm (the ix-24)
2. whats the major difference between the ix 24 and lets say the ix 16 or ix 12
3. Would I see any difference in performance between the nytro and the ix 24 if the extent of the RAID unit would be 4 SSD RAID 10; 512gb samsung 840 pro AND 3 HDD RAID 5; 1tb Velociraptor
m
l
!