Sign in with
Your question

Playing games on a HDD separate to your OS

Last response: in Storage
December 12, 2012 9:39:38 PM

I currently have 2 HDDs. 1 is 500GB and the other 2TB. Windows 7 is installed on the 500GB drive. My 2TB drive is partitioned into smaller parts which are all "simple volumes" rather than primary partitions. First of all, does playing games on a separate HDD to your OS give higher performance? Does making my second HDD primary partition instead of simple volume make the games run faster? and finally, how can I make all of my separate partitions of my second HDD into 1 HDD of 2TB instead of many smaller ones? (I am doing this through windows 7's disk management) Any help is appreciated
a b G Storage
December 12, 2012 9:44:40 PM

yes, no, deleted them
December 12, 2012 9:57:22 PM

abbadon_34 said:
yes, no, deleted them

Thanks. But about deleting them, I heard that deleting will only work if they are primary partitioned. Other than that the storage will be deleted for ever. Are you sure about deleting it? Also, what does it mean if it doesn't say the storage is "active". It still works but what does that mean?
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 12, 2012 10:04:08 PM

assuming you have removed all important data, and this is not a system drive, you should have no problem. delete whatever partitions you want then either create a new one with all the space, or expand and existing one. try to keep them contiguous to for best performance.

the active partion is the partition one used when boot to the drive from the bios
December 12, 2012 10:13:03 PM

abbadon_34 said:
assuming you have removed all important data, and this is not a system drive, you should have no problem. delete whatever partitions you want then either create a new one with all the space, or expand and existing one. try to keep them contiguous to for best performance.

the active partion is the partition one used when boot to the drive from the bios

How do I make them contiguous?
a b G Storage
December 12, 2012 10:18:13 PM

let's you have five partitions, let's calls them A, B, C, D, and E . A will use the first 20% of the drive, B the next 20%, etc. You delete B and D, and create a new partition with that space. Your new partition is using two different sections of the drive. Not a huge problem, but not something you want if you can avoid, as it can't be defragmented completely with files straddling the boundry or on both sides.
December 12, 2012 10:21:33 PM

abbadon_34 said:
let's you have five partitions, let's calls them A, B, C, D, and E . A will use the first 20% of the drive, B the next 20%, etc. You delete B and D, and create a new partition with that space. Your new partition is using two different sections of the drive. Not a huge problem, but not something you want if you can avoid, as it can't be defragmented completely with files straddling the boundry or on both sides.

Thanks!
a b G Storage
December 12, 2012 10:26:06 PM

no problem
December 12, 2012 10:27:38 PM

An active partition contains the loader for your OS. If you only have one OS installed, as in you don't dual boot, then you should only have one active partition. In a default Windows install, the System Reserved partition on the hard drive with your Windows partition should be marked active. If you don't have a System Reserved partition, then your Windows partition should be marked active. All over partitions on all other drives should not be marked as active.

In your case, the System Reserved partition on your 500GB drive should be marked as System, Active, Primary Partition. Your Windows partition on your 500GB drive should be marked as Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition.

If you want to change your 2TB drive into one large partition, then you really need to move all of your files to another storage, delete all partitions on your 2TB, reformat it as one large partition with default settings, and transfer all of your files back to it. Your 2TB will be marked as simply Primary Partition then.

EDIT: Sorry, I typed all of that while ya'll were posting.
a b G Storage
December 12, 2012 10:36:15 PM

Sorry to say but you will not see a performance difference in moving your games to a different partition or even drive than your OS. There may be minimal performance gains but we are talking a few FPS not anything worth the hassle if you already have the games installed. Same with primary vs simple partitions. There will be no noticeable performance gain in any games or applications.

To make your 2TB drive one partition again the easiest thing to do is use a tool like EASEUS Partition Master (the free version will work) to merge the partitions. The word of warning is to always back up your data, however if this tool works correctly you will not have to restore your data as it will do all of the moving of files and combining of partitions on its own.

I back this up by the fact that HDDs bottleneck is almost always in the amount of time it takes to access the data. I am not talking about how fast the software sends messages I am talking about how fast the HDD can physically spin the platter and move the head.

There are some advanced things that you can do like short stroking or the like that can help with the physical part but any kind of partitioning that you are talking about isn't going to help performance it is just a way to organize your info.
!