Slow connection between DIR-655 router and GS105 switch

road77

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hello, my house is pre-wired with cat-5 cable for home networking. The central wall box is fairly small, so I had to purchase a Netgear GS105 because it is the only switch I could find at the store that is small enough to fit. In the back room, I have a D-Link DIR-655 router connected to my cable modem. The router connects directly to a PC AND to the wall, which connects to the Netgear switch in the wall box. The problem is that the DIR-655 and GS105 switch will ONLY connect at 10M. This means that all the wired connections in my home are effectively running at 10M. SLOW.

These items are both rated at 10/100/1000, and I can't figure out why the switch won't uplink at a higher speed. I've tried changing ports, etc. with no luck. I checked the cabling in my house and it seems to be OK. The switch works just fine on its own - connecting various computers at 1000M. The router also works fine on its own. I just can't get them to work at a high speed together. Any advice?

Solution
Try connecting the two on another branch of the wiring.
Trying to see if they connect at a faster speed.
Sounds like a wiring problem.

road77

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

Thanks! It did turn out to be a wiring issue. The other branches of the network all connect at 1000mbps. I had tested the other branches with a laptop, but I never used the switch to run the wiring tests. The switch connects just fine everywhere but where I really need it to... I will have to look into running a new cable.

road77

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

Thanks! The connections in the jack looked fine, but I went ahead and repunched them anyway. It was a tool-less jack and I simply rewired it and pressed the top back down. That did the trick. All connections are running at 1000Mbps!