System will not boot / No signal ?

Col60

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hi, i have just built my first computer and it will not boot up or give any signal to the monitor?

I have installed the following components ;
GA-EG41MF-US2 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
4 GB PC2 6400 DDR2 SDRAM (4x1GB)
2 x Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB SATA2 HDD - HD502HJ Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-450P 450W Active PFC PSU.

I have installed a new Graphics card;
ATI Radeon HD 2400XT 256Mb Video Card, still no signal to monitor?

I have checked the monitor and keyboard/mouse on another computer and they all work ok!

I swopped the hard drive and all the leads from my other computer still no boot or signal.

Help !!!!

All i can think of now is that either the motherboard or new CPU is faulty?

Or have i missed something simple or basic

Colin.

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
be sure that the mobo can support quad cpu. you may need to update to the latest bios.
make sure u have connected ALL power cables for the mobo. u need 12pin cord and 4pin power cord (should be near the cpu socket).
try booting with only 1 stick of ram, then 2 sticks. some mobos dont like to play with 4 or more sticks.

Col60

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Thanks,
I have checked the Mobo specifications and it supports Intel duo core 2 extreme / Intel 2 Quad etc. (LGA 7775 Socket).

I Checked the Guide Listed on the Website before posting my message the ATX 12v 4 pin and 24 Pin atx are all connected, the only thing i did find was my board/case doesnt have is a Bios speaker so i cant hear any "Beeps" one has already been ordered. I may have to wait until then!

I will now play around with the memory sticks in case one or more are faulty.

Thanks for your reply.

Colin.

Col60

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hi,
It a slot in PCIE card no other connections from it.
I have tried both still no signal?

Regards, Colin.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
If both result in no signal, it is most likely a bad mobo. you can try the normal run through, including trying a single stick of ram, a swapped out PSU or CPU etc. but if you are simply getting no POST, i would put it down to the mobo.

is it under warranty?

Col60

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

I have tried swapping all the sticks of ram 1 and 2 at a time still nothing.

I have ordered some test equipment so i can test the Motherboard, RAM and PSU, hopefully the Bios speaker will also help when it arives?

I have another CPU coming today i will try that first, if that fails i will try another PSU, the mother board is new from Amazon so still under waranty.

Thanks for your advice.

I will let you know how i get on.

Regards, Colin.

Col60

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hi, it turns on CPU fan runs 4 led lights near RAM slots illunminate and it stays on.

I have just tried another working CPU and the same thing happens.

Regards, Colin.