Missing RAM ???

I have an odd question - I have plugged in 3 corsair dominator sticks of ram that are 1600s (3x2GB). On boot and through Belarc advisor, I am running 4gb of memory rather than the 6 that should. I have pulled & rotated the sticks, replaced the whole mess with other 3x2gb / 1333 sticks, yet only 2/3 of my memory ever reports. Am I hosed? I am thinking my a1/a2 slots on the mobo are toast. Any alternative ideas?
4 answers Last reply
More about missing
  1. What OS are you using? Unless it is a 64-bit OS, you will only see 3.5 to 4 GB based on the limitations of a 32-bit system.
  2. Ahhh yes, I neglected to mention - OS = Winders 7- 64 bit
  3. And what motherboard / CPU?

The kits of 3 DIMMs are intended for Core i7 9xx CPUs, which are LGA1366, triple channel.

Depending on the motherboard, if you plug 3 DIMMs into a motherboard that's intended for dual channel, you may find only the pair of DIMMs recognised, and the odd one ignored. If you added a fourth DIMM you might find the second pair gets recognised.
  4. the mobo is an ASUS P6T.... and the CPU is in fact an Intel i7 940(?) At work now so could be a different 9.. model.

To add to the confusion, I had this big daddy built for me for W7/64 bit with the 6gb that worked at one time, then after about 8 months it began irratically power cycling, I replaced the power supply, mobo (with identical one), ram, scsi card, video, and dumped countless hours into trouble-shooting via the event viewer. At the end of the day it was my antique UPS (thx apc). That was about 8 months ago, I do not know where in the process all my ram quit reporting though.
Ask a new question

Read More

Corsair Corsair Dominator RAM Memory