Closed Solved

Core 2 Duo E4500 on i5 / i7 motherboards

Hi
I was wondering if my current core 2 duo E4500 would be compatible with an i5/i7 motherboard?

I am planning to upgrade my setup with the motherboard and memory first and then buy an i5/i7 cpu later.

I'm new at this, so your help is greatly appreciated.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about core e4500 motherboards
  1. Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

First, I cannot tell you off the bat. Your BIOS might not recognize the CPU. Is this a prefabricated computer or a build system?
  2. I believe this is a "build system".

Intel core 2 duo E4500 2GHZ
    Kingston 1GB DDR2 667 (plan to replace)
    MB MSI P4M900M2-L LAN micro ATX (plan to replace)
    Samsung 160GB SATA HD
    Seagate 1TB SATA HD
    currently without videocard (plan to buy one)
  3. My question is:

Are you satisfied with the i7 series?

I am basically saying that you should possibly wait until either Sandy Bridge-Intel comes out or Bulldozer-AMD as well.
  4. Best answer
    Hi, intel core 2 e4500 is a socket LGa 775 it is incompatible with LGA 1156 and 1366, which the core i5 / core i7 is using. If you really plan on upgrading your system you can start by replacing your MOBO/Processor/RAM.

hope this helps. ^^
  5. I don't know. I'm not really looking for the highest performance, my setup is just for use at home and some games.
  6. Wait for Sandy Bridge/ Bulldozer.
  7. evilmunkey, that build you gave a while ago is enough for you to be able to play some games even w/o a dedicated Graphics card. Now the question is which games do you intend to play? bco'z knowing what your computer is for will largely determine what components you need.

but if i were to choose between core i5/i7. I would rather choose d i5s simply bcoz its cheap for its performance.
  8. redblade_88 said:
    evilmunkey, that build you gave a while ago is enough for you to be able to play some games even w/o a dedicated Graphics card. Now the question is which games do you intend to play? bco'z knowing what your computer is for will largely determine what components you need.

but if i were to choose between core i5/i7. I would rather choose d i5s simply bcoz its cheap for its performance.

I actually have to agree with you.

Choose him as best answer, and keep to your plans.
  9. Thanks for clearing that up.
  10. Best answer selected by evilmunkey.
  11. Quote:
    Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't know if that is sarcasm or if you are serious. If you are serious...

Glad to help. Hope you find Tom's a great place to be!
  12. dogman_1234 said:
    I don't know if that is sarcasm or if you are serious. If you are serious...

Glad to help. Hope you find Tom's a great place to be!

No, really, I am thankful. I'm not being sarcastic.
  13. ^ Glad to hear! :D
  14. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

Core Intel i7 Motherboards Intel i5 Components