Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Low-cost PC

Tags:
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Share
November 27, 2010 5:01:15 AM

Hi there,

For xmas I am going to be getting parts for a new PC my dad will help me build it.

BUt it has to be under $130 I would like it if you's could give me the best parts for under that amount?

I have the case,OS,harddrive,dvd-rom and floppy-drive

I have a old 24pin PSU also if that would work with the new board.

I would need the Mobo,CPU,PSU and RAM I also need it to have IDE cable instead of SATA thanks so much....

I am not expecting anything great but it should be compared to what I have now...I have 512mb of ram only :( 

More about : low cost

November 27, 2010 5:32:28 AM

Hi Eddie14, Welcome to THW.

First - With a budget of $130 it is going to be very difficult to upgrade your PC, you will most likely have to use your old PSU to stay on budget, which will work with new mobo's.

Second - What is your PSU's name / model / wattage?

Third - What is your current PC's specs: Mobo, CPU, RAM? Need models and specs.

Fourth - What do you use your PC for?

After you provide that information we can help you find the best upgrades for your PC.
m
0
l
November 27, 2010 5:41:22 AM

thechief73 said:
Hi Eddie14, Welcome to THW.

First - With a budget of $130 it is going to be very difficult to upgrade your PC, you will most likely have to use your old PSU to stay on budget, which will work with new mobo's.

Second - What is your PSU's name / model / wattage?

Third - What is your current PC's specs: Mobo, CPU, RAM? Need models and specs.

Fourth - What do you use your PC for?

After you provide that information we can help you find the best upgrades for your PC.


Hello,

My PSU's name is a Hipro, wattage is max 200W and model is HP-A2027F3

My computer is a HP Pavilion 533W here is the specs http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en...

It currently has 512mb of RAM.

I use my PC for Skype, browser games and some shooter games witch lag really badly on this PC. And if possible WOW on the new PC.

Thanks
m
0
l
Related resources
November 27, 2010 6:09:30 AM

Actually, I don't think my PSU is 24-pin but I do have a PSU in the attic that I know has a 24-pin. I think it has a wattage of 450W or 500W I will check on that tomorrow.
m
0
l
November 27, 2010 6:22:56 AM

Ok Eddie,

Here is what I have come up with, Total $129. Like I said its REALLY hard to upgrade with your budget, but this will give you quite a noticable increase in performance over your current PC, I could not say if it can play WoW or not though.

Mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you need to save more you can go with 1gb of RAM but that will lower the performance of you new PC. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

One thing you need to keep in mind is that your PSU is a low budget PSU and it cannot be trusted to provide the amount of power its rated at, or be of good manufacturing quality, HP uses these PSU's to lower the cost of the PC and sacrafices quality and reliability to do so. I would not recommend to use that PSU with your new parts, they probably will work, but that is a call your going to have to make yourself.
m
0
l
November 27, 2010 6:26:12 AM

Eddie14 said:
Actually, I don't think my PSU is 24-pin but I do have a PSU in the attic that I know has a 24-pin. I think it has a wattage of 450W or 500W I will check on that tomorrow.

That will probably be the best to use over your 200w one, you really need a 24-pin. Just make sure to clean the dust out of it and let me know what the model is just so I can check out its reputation.
m
0
l
November 27, 2010 6:27:32 AM

thechief73 said:
Ok Eddie,

Here is what I have come up with, Total $129. Like I said its REALLY hard to upgrade with your budget, but this will give you quite a noticable increase in performance over your current PC, I could not say if it can play WoW or not though.

Mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you need to save more you can go with 1gb of RAM but that will lower the performance of you new PC. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

One thing you need to keep in mind is that your PSU is a low budget PSU and it cannot be trustes to provide the amount of power its rated at, or be of good manufacturing quality, HP uses these PSU's to lower the cost of the PC and sacrafices quality and reliability to do so. I would not recommend to use that PSU with your new parts, they probably will work, but that is a call your going to have to make yourself.


Thanks for your help,

Does that mobo support IDE? for my hdd and dvd-rom ^^
m
0
l
November 27, 2010 6:35:33 AM

thechief73 said:
Hey Your Welcome, I am glad to help. :) 

Yes, it does. Here is a link to a cable if you need one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thanks, I will just take the cables out of this PC. If the 24-pin doesn't work is it okay to use a 20-pin on a 24?
m
0
l
November 27, 2010 6:57:41 AM

You may be able to, but I wouldnt advise it, it may not be able to provide your system with the power it needs. To get a starit yes or no answer, will take some looking into, but like I said I don't think its a good idea.
m
0
l
November 28, 2010 5:48:04 AM

Hey what PSU could work with this? and whats the lowest one? thanks
m
0
l
November 28, 2010 3:23:39 PM

I am looking into your HiPRO HP-A2027F3 and trying to find more information on it, but could you list every other part that will be in your new PC besides the ones that I listed for you, it will help me find what you need.

If you want to keep this simple and VERY cheap this: Antec Basiq BP430 430W is the PSU I would recommend you get, it can power your PC and even a nice mid-range GPU if you want to add one later. BUT.... The deal ends today. :) 
m
0
l
December 1, 2010 2:19:13 AM

It will probably work, but how well and how long I cannot say. It would have been best if you could have picked up the Antec I linked you to when it was on sale for ~$20. The one you have linked to is a no-name, low budget PSU, and I really cannot recommend you to use it, it will probably power you PC ok, but I just cannot say that it is a good idea to get it, thats a choice you would have to make on your own.

I would recommend this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... , if that is within your budget and your not planning on putting in a high power GPU later on.
m
0
l
December 1, 2010 3:43:14 AM

thechief73 said:
It will probably work, but how well and how long I cannot say. It would have been best if you could have picked up the Antec I linked you to when it was on sale for ~$20. The one you have linked to is a no-name, low budget PSU, and I really cannot recommend you to use it, it will probably power you PC ok, but I just cannot say that it is a good idea to get it, thats a choice you would have to make on your own.

I would recommend this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... , if that is within your budget and your not planning on putting in a high power GPU later on.


Yeah, well I have a $25 giftcard for walmart so would have to get a PSU for under $25 I will probably be using under 250watts at all times on it.
m
0
l
December 1, 2010 4:01:53 AM

If you do have any budget left over, your next investment should be a Video Card since it is the biggest factor in gaming... especially now that you have a decent CPU and a sufficient amount of Ram.
m
0
l
December 1, 2010 8:45:34 AM

I wouldn't recommend that because it wouldn't be much of an upgrade (minimal at most) over your Onboard Graphics, nor is it a worthwhile upgrade for the price...


I would recommend the Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit DDR3 from PowerColor.

At $49.99 it's easily one of the best price per performance deals out there and for being a relatively modern card. This should pair up with your setup fine and will run most modern games at medium to high details smooth (and yes, this includes WoW).

If you don't have that kind of budget, I suggest you save up for it... you won't be disappointed. ;) 
m
0
l
December 2, 2010 6:32:26 AM

Hello, okay this is what have just been bought :

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Sempron-Socket-Cache-SDX140HB... . It does say single-core but I will be trying to unlock the extra core...if I can't it should still be decent.

http://www.amazon.com/Biostar-MCP6P3-Ver-6-x-Motherboar... . But I bought it from a seller so it only came to $44 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-ValueRAM-PC3-1066-KVR133... . I bought this ram to go along with it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coolmax-V-500-Series-500W-120... . This should be a decent PSU.

And was thinking about another case. I was thinking about this 1 http://www.xoxide.com/micro-atx-desktop.html

This PC should be enough for me.

m
0
l
December 2, 2010 10:51:38 PM

Everything looks good, but...

That CPU is outdated and a single core is not considered 'decent' with today's software standards (unless you are using it to browse the internet & email most of the time). As well, that CPU is going to bottleneck your system quite a bit when it comes to playing modern-ish games (especially true if you decide to get a discrete Video Card).

To be a worthwhile upgrade and a 'decent' budget system, you would need at least a dual core CPU. Attempting to unlock a core is also taking quite a risk, as you may introduce instability into your system. Things may corrupt, calculate incorrectly or even crash.

And it is questionable if the case is worth switching to... Unless your case is somehow even worse.


Well, as long as you're sure the Case and the PC is enough for your usage... I'm just here to help.

Oh, and I hope the unlocking works out for you. Good luck! ;) 
m
0
l
December 2, 2010 11:10:19 PM

Thanks for your input, I agree that the CPU is very outdated, but couldn't find anything else in my budget. The other 1 went up and some went out of stock before I could order....If I can't unlock the core no big deal......In a month or 2 I plan to upgrade to a dual-core and get that 1GB graphics card.....with another 2GB of ram then that should be much faster.

I only need this to hold me over.
m
0
l
!