New build freezing and onboard lan not recognized.

Hi all.
I recently built a new desktop out of mostly new components. When I first built it everything was working great. I got all the drivers installed with no hitches, and setup Wake on Lan/wan and remote access also successfully (so I could access my PC while on vacation). However, as soon as I attempted this while on said vacation... no dice. It had worked before just fine from both my home networks and others. When I returned home I found the mobo had been reset somehow. Once I turned it on, I had to press enter in order to select default setting, like I did when I first installed it. When windows started none of my drivers were recognized, but I restarted and everything came back except my onboard lan; which won't even show up in device manager. I'm using a PCI ethernet controller now so its not a huge deal, but if I could get it to work that would be nice. My biggest problem is that now Windows freezes after a few minutes everytime I boot up. I have to reset, and then it just does it again. For some reason it doesn't do this in safe mode however. I have no idea if this two problems are related.

Things I've tried:
Resetting the mobo (unplugging and removing battery)
reinstalling onboard lan drivers
I've looked for damage from a short on the mobo; haven't found any.
Yes, lan is enable in mobo.

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
Biostar A870u3 mobo (new)
athlon x4 3.2 (new)
8gb gskill ripjaws ram (new)
Nivida 8500 gt (old)
Everything else is old.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about build freezing onboard recognized
  1. Did you format the hardrive and re-install your OS when you built the new pc with old parts?

Did you install all the chipset drivers for the motherboard?

Check memory voltage and timings make sure they are set correctly in bios and not just auto.
  2. geekapproved said:
    Did you format the hardrive and re-install your OS when you built the new pc with old parts?

Did you install all the chipset drivers for the motherboard?

Check memory voltage and timings make sure they are set correctly in bios and not just auto.

Yes, Yes, to the first two. Everything is how I thought it should be in the bios. Here's a screen shot though just in case I'm wrong.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333MHz DIMM PC3-10666

On a side note, my computer just stayed on for five hours until it froze. Not sure if that matters.

Also, I tried doing a system restore to a point before this started happening, but it didn't help.
  3. So I think I've narrowed the problem down to the nvidia drivers. I noticed the pc didn't freeze at all when in safe mode or when using the s-video port, rather than the dvi to hdmi port I usually use. Also, the majority of the freezing happened while in firefox. If I use internet explore or chrome it rarely freezes at all. Firefox used a nvidia plugin so that may have been the cause; though disabling it had no effect.

Any ideas what to do? I'm using the latest drivers for my card from the nvidia site.

Onboard lan is still dead.

Any help is much appreciated.
  4. I found an older driver online, and used that instead. No more freezing. I don't think there's much I can do with the onboard lan. Must be fried.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards LAN