Palit gtx 460 1 gb sonic PLATINUM?

jdebarde

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Does anyone understand the difference between the palit gtx 1gb sonic PLATINUM versus just the sonic. I think the platinum version comes overclocked, but as a total noob I don't completely understand what it would mean if I were to get just the sonic version. Could I overclock the sonic to achieve speeds somewhere near the sonic platinum?

Solution
Essentially... the sonic is overclocked 10% vs stock speeds... and the sonic platinum is overclocked 20%. I'd say being a self-proclaimed total noob... just spend hte extra $20 on the sonic platinum ($250 vs sonic $230) it's worth it and then you dont have to stress yourself out .... plug it in and start playing starcraft on ULTRA

lowriderflow

Distinguished
Essentially... the sonic is overclocked 10% vs stock speeds... and the sonic platinum is overclocked 20%. I'd say being a self-proclaimed total noob... just spend hte extra $20 on the sonic platinum ($250 vs sonic $230) it's worth it and then you dont have to stress yourself out .... plug it in and start playing starcraft on ULTRA

Solution

jdebarde

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Well I happen to have an awesome deal coming to me for the regular sonic and learning how to oc would be fun I think. So I'll probably go with the sonic. I should be able to play sc on ultra just as well as with the platinum :)

Any GTX 460 should be more than enough for SC2. Game benchmarks I've seen show it can play on ATI 5750's (not to mention ATI 5770). So a GTX 460 should play it with maxed out settings. :)

Usually, the 10% OC on a graphics card doesn't equal a massive performance boost to begin with. And a 10% OC should be fairly easy to reach if you know how to do it.

Timop

Distinguished

Well, The CPU plays a big part also.

You can barely get 40fps with a Q6600 @stock speeds with a GTX480 IIRC.

D

Deleted member 217926

To be honest even though they advertise on Tom's front page I am not blown away with the Palit brand. If you read the newegg reviews for this card it seems they sent different versions to review sites than they are shipping to the consumer. The poorly worded "replies" ( excuses ) from the manufacturer sure do not say "quality brand" to me. I would get a good known quality brand like MSI, EVGA, Asus or Gigabyte myself. All will overclock quite well.

Generally, I agree with the "poorly worded" part of your comment. However, keep in mind most of these brands (Palit, MSi, Gigabyte, etc) are often times manufactured overseas. And therefore some of their staff that you interact with speaks English as a second language.

So far as different versions of the Palit GTX 460. There's an article about it, and it's been addressed in the forums, stating that the difference is the lack of VRM heatsink on the retail versions. So basically, the memory runs hotter (potentially less OC headroom).

Don't forget it's an RTS, so the fps standards are different.

While you need at least 30fps for an FPS to be playable, getting 20 fps in an RTS would be considered "good framerates."