I need help with memory/RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillahBees

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hi,
I am planning on buying new memory/RAM for my computer. My computer currently has 2, 512 MB DDR2 chips inside.

Specs:
HP Pavilion a1600n
Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory:
958MB RAM
Hard Drive:
190 GB
Current Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE

I am planning on buying a 1GB DDR2 RAM for my computer. Do the chips have to all be the same memory size? or can they be different for example: 2 512 MB and 1 1GB RAM. Also, what are some cheap, good quality RAM brands?

Solution
go to this site, download and run the memory advisor and your golden. Nothing to worry about...

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/
If you only run 3 sticks, then your only running in single channel mode which hurts performance.

You ideally want 2 or 4 sticks of like ram. Must be same voltage/timings/speed as the old ram to work correctly.

I would either get 2 more 512's (must match old ram) or get 2 1GB sticks and ditch/sell the 512mb sticks.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

No.

OK, actually DDR /1,2,3/ is a type of SDRAM, but the type of SDRAM, marked as SDRAM is usually Single Data Rate SDRAM. While obviously you need DDR2 SDRAM, which is marked as DDR2.

Ah, and SDRAM meand Synchronous Dynamic Random-Access Memory. DDR means Double Data Rate...

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

And DDR2 SDRAM is just it - DDR2 SDRAM, usualy mentioned as just DDR2. DDR2 is the short of DDR2 SDRAM. Which in turn is short of... well, something long :)

KillahBees

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
ohhhhh got it. the reason why i wanted to know is because they only have SDRAM DDR2 's; on the site i am trying to buy it from that is. so my computer is compatible with SDRAMs?

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Whit this specific type of SDRAM - the DDR2 SDRAM - yes, it is.
But it doesn't mean it's compatible with all types of SDRAM. SDRAM contains many incompatible types of ram too. Actually any type of currently used RAM is SDRAM as much as I know, at least in consumer computing. Only some first level cashes are SRAM /Static RAM - contrary to Dynamic RAM/. SDRAM is a broad field.

No your computer is not compatible with all SDRAM. It's compatible with the ones we mentioned at least 3 times now.

Status
Not open for further replies.