Closed Solved

I need help with memory/RAM

Hi,
I am planning on buying new memory/RAM for my computer. My computer currently has 2, 512 MB DDR2 chips inside.

Specs:
HP Pavilion a1600n
Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory:
958MB RAM
Hard Drive:
190 GB
Current Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE

I am planning on buying a 1GB DDR2 RAM for my computer. Do the chips have to all be the same memory size? or can they be different for example: 2 512 MB and 1 1GB RAM. Also, what are some cheap, good quality RAM brands?

16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about memory
  1. http://www.memoryupgradecompany.com/memory/HPPavilionMediaCentera1600nMemoryUpgrade.html

You have 4 RAM slots, right? It seems you can get a 1GB 1.8volts DDR2 533Mhz RAM stick. Kingston, A-Data, Kingmax, Crucial or something. You can get 800Mhz if you like but it will work at 533 anyway.
  2. If you only run 3 sticks, then your only running in single channel mode which hurts performance.

You ideally want 2 or 4 sticks of like ram. Must be same voltage/timings/speed as the old ram to work correctly.

I would either get 2 more 512's (must match old ram) or get 2 1GB sticks and ditch/sell the 512mb sticks.
  3. I have decided to buy 2x1GB DIMMS. Will this work on my computer?
    Specs:
    240-Pin
    DDR2
    SDRAM
    DDR2 533 (PC2 4200)
    Dual Channel Kit
    Desktop Memory
  4. KillahBees said:

No.

OK, actually DDR /1,2,3/ is a type of SDRAM, but the type of SDRAM, marked as SDRAM is usually Single Data Rate SDRAM. While obviously you need DDR2 SDRAM, which is marked as DDR2.

Ah, and SDRAM meand Synchronous Dynamic Random-Access Memory. DDR means Double Data Rate...
  5. ohh i see. but this product has both SDRAM and DDR2 lol
  6. Mosox already told you exactly what you need. 1GB sticks of DDR2-533 (PC24200)

Please pay attention.
  7. KillahBees said:
    ohh i see. but this product has both SDRAM and DDR2 lol

And DDR2 SDRAM is just it - DDR2 SDRAM, usualy mentioned as just DDR2. DDR2 is the short of DDR2 SDRAM. Which in turn is short of... well, something long :)
  8. ohhhhh got it. the reason why i wanted to know is because they only have SDRAM DDR2 's; on the site i am trying to buy it from that is. so my computer is compatible with SDRAMs?
  9. Whit this specific type of SDRAM - the DDR2 SDRAM - yes, it is.
    But it doesn't mean it's compatible with all types of SDRAM. SDRAM contains many incompatible types of ram too. Actually any type of currently used RAM is SDRAM as much as I know, at least in consumer computing. Only some first level cashes are SRAM /Static RAM - contrary to Dynamic RAM/. SDRAM is a broad field.
  10. KillahBees said:
    ohhhhh got it. the reason why i wanted to know is because they only have SDRAM DDR2 's; on the site i am trying to buy it from that is. so my computer is compatible with SDRAMs?

No your computer is not compatible with all SDRAM. It's compatible with the ones we mentioned at least 3 times now.
  11. Best answer
    go to this site, download and run the memory advisor and your golden. Nothing to worry about...

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/
  12. why is this not working !!! grrr
  13. grieve said:
    why is this not working !!! grrr

You alright?? lolz
  14. Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
  15. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Computer