Sign in with
Your question

Wd10eads-65m2b1 raid

Last response: in Storage
December 13, 2012 5:14:56 AM

Hello,

I inserted a Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB internal hard drive into my computer, and want to use it for back up. My BIOS recognizes the device, as does Device Manager. But it is not recognized in Disk Management, "my computer," or as an option in Windows Backup. First the drive was plugged into SATA port 1 on my motherboard, then I tried it in port 3, where it remains. I've been working on this for hours. Any help would be appreciated.

BIOS:D rive shows up
Device manager:D evice shows up
Windows backup:D evice does not show up
My computer:D evice does not show up
Disk management:D evice does not show up

I should add that I looked up information for my motherboard and the hard drive in question, and it appears they are both SATA II compatible.

Motherboard:M2N78-LA violet6, manufactured by Pegatron. "Complies with SATA 1.0 and sata 2.0 specifications."

Hard drive:Western Digital WD10EADS-65M2B1. "Features the SATA I and SATA II interface."

More info

Hard drive model #:WD10EADS-65M2B1 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Service Pack 1 Computer:HP Model p6404y, Processor:AMD phenom II x4 820 2.80GHZ 8 gigs RAM

More about : wd10eads 65m2b1 raid

a c 375 G Storage
December 13, 2012 11:44:02 AM

Have you tried running diskpart and see if it shows up there?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 13, 2012 1:35:53 PM

When you look at it in device manager what does it say about it? Is it in Disk Drives and does it show the model and say it is an ATA device?
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2012 2:23:02 AM

The answer to my problem turned out to be kind of wild. It appears that a computer repair shop put the wrong drive in my computer accidentally. They must have grabbed the wrong one and installed it. I know this because Western Digital tech support says the serial number for my HD is for an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) drive, which means I could not have bought this off the shelf at a store;OEM's usually come built in to computers. So someone out there has the hard drive that I bought at Best Buy, and I have their hard drive that was being repaired at the store.
m
l
a c 375 G Storage
December 14, 2012 10:50:57 AM

Unless the drive is damaged, it should still show up regardless if it's retail or OEM.
m
l
a c 300 G Storage
December 14, 2012 5:22:48 PM

The "65" in the model number suffix identifies HP/Compaq as the OEM. There will also be a "5189-2998" part number on the label which is a Hewlett-Packard P/N. Your own computer is a HP, so I'm wondering how likely it is that Best Buy accidentally gave you a HP drive for your HP computer, especially if this HP replacement drive really was another customer's drive.

FYI ...

According to the following document, "the model number suffix (characters to the right of the dash following the model number) is only for in-house use. Refer to Change Administration’s Model Specification (document number 2096-000101)."

Model Number Format for OEM and Distribution Channels:
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/Flyer/ENG/2579-00...

I haven't seen WD's internal document, but here is an explanation in Russian:
http://www.acelab.ru/dep.pc/doc.pc3000dos/060713.001/WD...

Here is Google's English translation:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&pre...
m
l
!