Sign in with
Your question

My hard drive wont start up, But my fans and everything else will.

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 5, 2010 2:53:26 AM

Hello, When I turn my computer on it won`t go past the windows XP screen. It just keep`s restarting.

It hasn`t worked since like February, The last time it worked I Was playing maplestory and it froze so I restared my computer manually.

When I power my computer on it goes through the normal start up(But my hard drive doesn`t sound like it`s spinning). So I let it go and it take`s me to the start windows in... window and no matter what option I choose It just goes to the loading for Windows XP screen, You know, the screen with the scrolling bar thingy, and it stays there for maybe a second. Then it restarts automatically and keep`s repeating that.
a c 103 B Homebuilt system
September 5, 2010 3:06:50 AM

You might have a corrupt windows installation! Try doing a repair install of windows.
(Start from your win CD select install and repair when it detects a previous install)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 5, 2010 3:14:19 AM

rolli59 said:
You might have a corrupt windows installation! Try doing a repair install of windows.
(Start from your win CD select install and repair when it detects a previous install)

Gahhhh!
I don`t know where my OS disks are!!!! What do I do???
Related resources
September 5, 2010 3:19:30 AM

If you have your key code (cant even remember if you need the key code) you can use any windows disk that has the same service pack as is installed on your computer.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 5, 2010 3:22:26 AM

rolli59 said:
If you have your key code (cant even remember if you need the key code) you can use any windows disk that has the same service pack as is installed on your computer.

Well my friend said he had an un-used keycode so he must have the disks. If I were to get the disks from him. Would they work? And I believe I have SP2 on my comp. But I`m not sure. :/ 
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 5, 2010 3:30:46 AM

rolli59 said:
You will have to have the same service pack or newer on the disk to be able to repair so here is a guide http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slip...

Okay. Would I be able to just completely re-install Windows XP? Or do I have to do what you first stated? (Sorry for sounding noobish, Don`t understand alot about OS`s/this kinda stuff. :p )
September 5, 2010 3:36:45 AM

Full install is fine if you do not have any data (pictures, docs, music, movies etc) that you don't want to loose, because it will have to reformat the drive.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 5, 2010 3:40:45 AM

rolli59 said:
Full install is fine if you do not have any data (pictures, docs, music, movies etc) that you don't want to loose, because it will have to reformat the drive.

Okay. Thanks for the help :) 
!