Furmark Stability Test

cosmiconion

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hi Guys,

I received my HIS HD 3850 today (to replace my integrated HD4200 [6.9 for Aero + Gaming up from 4.6 and 5.5 respectively - Windows 7 64bit]) and I noticed in CCC that it was running at around 85 / 90oC only moments after starting to play Lead and Gold.

This prompted me to stress test the GPU using FurMark.

I ran the stability test for 10 minutes and the temperature sat between 91 and 93oC.

Is this going to cause me any issues as to the reliability in the future (10 months - 1 year)?

I'm aware that the fans on many graphics cards can be dim-witted in regards to adjusting the fan speed appropriately and that generally below 100oC won't be damaging but it's always nice to have a few opinions.

Also if anyone else is using an HD 3850 and could let me know if they are having similar temps (also games that they are able to run!) that would be great.

Cheers

devinkoz

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
That is pretty hot, I like to be under 60 C, but thats just me. 100 C is 212 degrees Farenheit which is pretty dang hot. What is your fan speed at now? Or is it automatic?

It is possible to set the fan speed manually through the Catalyst Control Centre (CCC ) .
Open the CCC and select 'Advanced' to open all the options.
Select 'Graphics' and then 'Overdrive'.
Activate the Overdrive by clicking on the padlock icon and 'Yes' to activate.
Select the manual fan control option and set the speed to a higher one-say 50% and then 'Apply'.
The above will vary depending on which version of the drivers you are using.

I'd use MSI Afterburner, and make a custom fan profile. That way you don't need to manually make adjustments and you also don't have to have it loud all the time (if you decide to leave it at 100% all the time or w/e).

cosmiconion

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
I have the latest drivers for CCC and it does not have a fan control option. I looked into that option initially but found via google that it was only available on cards above mine (can't remember how far above). So taking the furmark test into account, gaming should be ok? Providing I keep an eye on it?

If all else fails I could use rivatuner but I'm trying to avoid any third party software that could use uness CPU

devinkoz

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
unless u r living in an igloo or in canada and iceland it is impossible to keep gpu temp under 60c unless u r watercooling.To OP furmark doesnot represent real world gaming temp.

Actually greenland is colder than iceland =)

devinkoz

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

My old 4850 had fan controll and all that stuffies, your 5770 should have it alsol

devinkoz

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Soz about that, I read wrong. Even EVGA precision works with radeons, I know you didn't want to use 3d party programs but this program is fine (you can adjust fan speed in it also... pretty sure..).

cosmiconion

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

The fan is on automatic I assume. I have no real way of telling how fast it is going as even when it got up to 93oC it was inaudible meaning it's quiet or it sit's at xx% regardless of temp

devinkoz

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Well, if it is usually that hot, the lifetime of the card will be shorter - but if you aren't experiencing any problems like random artifacts and bad lag, you should be fine for now.

cosmiconion

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Using Rivatuner I was only able to get the temps down to 88oC before the fan became 'overly' audible. Therefore i'm guessing a new fan would help.

Surely out of the box it should operate within a reasonable guideline. I mean HIS offer a two year warrenty on it so I should be able to get at least that out of it.

Perhaps "keeping up with the Joneses" in regards to PC performance is taking over..."must get cooler...faster..better!"

i dont believe that. I'd say letting the card, and in turn, letting the fan get that hot would shorten the life of it. Ive seen plastic fans on ATI cards melt because a card has gotten too hot.

devinkoz

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Actually it wouldn't get hot, the air pulling through might actually cool the fan and the motor itselfe, but i'm saying your ram and gpu is much more important than the stock fan. Your fan will not get hot enough to melt itselfe.