Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC to Watch Internet on TV

Last response: in Systems
September 5, 2010 3:38:18 AM

Folks,

I'm planning to build a PC to watch internet on my TV (LCD Samsung 46'' TV). This PC will not have monitor, but it will be dedicated to watch Internet on TV. It will have a wireless card so that it can connect to the G Router. My final aim is to throw out my cable TV connection (just waste of money).

Here are my questions
1) Where can I get a small PC preferrebly the size of the cable TV box, so that I can put the PC on my TV stand?

2) What kind of display adapter should I have on this PC, so that everything looks clear in the TV?
3) Instead of a wireless keyboard and mouse, can I buy something else that would allow me to remotely switch websites on the PC?

Here's my internet connection speed:
Download Speed: 19715 kbps (2464.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4154 kbps (519.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

thanks,
dorman

More about : watch internet

Best solution

September 5, 2010 4:13:54 AM

$390AR

1. Have a look at cube/shoe boxes casings
2. With an LCD TV? HDMI out
September 5, 2010 1:09:49 PM

batuchka said:
$390AR
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/batuchka/Untitled-2044.jpg

1. Have a look at cube/shoe boxes casings
2. With an LCD TV? HDMI out

Thanks batuchka!

Yes, the TV does have an HDMI outlet. So, the specifications you gave will be enough to watch the internet on TV decently? Any particular website? Newegg, Tigerdirect etc?

thanks,
dorman
m
l
Related resources
September 5, 2010 2:59:39 PM

Actually 2GB RAM would be enuff but just for net the config more than suffices - h/w all off Newegg USA You are welcomed ^^
m
l
September 5, 2010 3:19:03 PM

Eh, I would spend 5$ more for the 1TB hard drive, if only so you can also purpose this as a storage or backup server.

For purely TV purposes you could get a dual-core and 2GB of ram and be just fine.
m
l
September 12, 2010 2:14:13 AM

Best answer selected by dormantroot.
m
l
September 12, 2010 4:41:44 AM

Yep happy shopping/building and cheers ^^
m
l
May 9, 2012 4:14:39 AM

dormantroot said:
Folks,

I'm planning to build a PC to watch internet on my TV (LCD Samsung 46'' TV). This PC will not have monitor, but it will be dedicated to watch Internet on TV. It will have a wireless card so that it can connect to the G Router. My final aim is to throw out my cable TV connection (just waste of money).

Here are my questions
1) Where can I get a small PC preferrebly the size of the cable TV box, so that I can put the PC on my TV stand?

2) What kind of display adapter should I have on this PC, so that everything looks clear in the TV?
3) Instead of a wireless keyboard and mouse, can I buy something else that would allow me to remotely switch websites on the PC?

Here's my internet connection speed:
Download Speed: 19715 kbps (2464.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4154 kbps (519.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

thanks,
dorman

Hello,

Did you ever complete this method. I want to do the same thing, but wonder things like do you need to buy an IOS to operate the PC. I cant wait to try this and move off cable, I am getting an HD satalite and just want to use that and stream direct from my PC for other stuff like movies, etc.

Any help would be great.
Thank you
Tom
thomasoran@gmail.com
m
l
May 9, 2012 4:40:41 AM

dormantroot said:
Folks,

1) I have been researching this extensively and if you are worried about size it seems that the smaller cases are more expensive and less compatible. If money isn't the issue you should be fine.

2) I have just a regular SVGA monitor cord going from my computer to my 37 inch TV and its really nice. I hear that video cards with HDMI are better and you can get them pretty cheap.

3) There are several blue tooth or wireless dongle remotes that you can get for the PC. The easiest for me was to get a wireless Xbox 360 controller for the PC and configure it for XBMC (windows.) It took me a bit of internet searching and head scratching but it probably works better than having to run whatever 3rd party program that comes with your remote control package.
m
l
!