Sign in with
Your question

Random artifacts HD 5770 or PSU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 30, 2010 7:22:25 PM

Hi everyone, I've tried looking everywhere about my issue but couldn't find any concrete answer so I was hopping if any of you could help me.
I'm getting these random artifacts appearing meanly at my gadget section of my desktop, on my Aero preview and on some other random places like right click, start button etc.. This start happening randomly and it goes away after I restart the computer and then it comes back after a while.

Screen shot:
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7105/randomartifacts...

My specs:
CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 3000 MHz (15 x 200) 6000+
Motherboard Name Asus M3N-HT Deluxe
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 780a SLI, AMD Hammer
System Memory 4096 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
GPU/Video Card ATI Radeon HD5770
Power Supply ZUMAX technology 650W
OS Windows 7 Professional

Was wondering if this is a PSU problem or a bad ATI card.
Note: My power supply used to turn on a diode behind it (turbo fan mode) but after a black out it doesn't anymore.
I'm supposing it is the PSU the one with the problem because the problem started after 2 months I bought the ATI card, and the PSU is a lot older.
Hope you can help me and thanks in advance =)
July 30, 2010 7:25:49 PM

Have you overclocked your 5770? What are your idle and load tempatures?
m
l
July 30, 2010 7:31:20 PM

Nothing is over-clocked.
Idle 47-50
Load 67-70 (haven't seen it get higher)

Pretty sure is not a heat problem, since I sometimes play heavy graphic duty games and artifacts does never show when I finish playing.
Oh and btw this only happens while in the explorer meaning games are artifact free.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2010 7:33:21 PM

The temps are abit high, but not high enough to cause problems..
Id say RMA the card, if you're getting artifacts in 2D, it could be bad Vram.

But before that, do clean install of drivers and windows if possible. A bad card would definitely artifact in games also.
m
l
July 30, 2010 7:36:24 PM

Hmm... Could be Vram, but... What if you go into CCC, put your fan up to 100%, reboot your computer and see if you still get artifacts? I wouldn't recomend leaving it on 100% though (shorten your fan life by a long shot).
m
l
July 30, 2010 7:37:37 PM

Timop said:
The temps are abit high, but not high enough to cause problems..
Id say RMA the card, if you're getting artifacts in 2D, it could be bad Vram.

But before that, do clean install of drivers and windows if possible. A bad card would definitely artifact in games also.

True dat! Seems like a driver problem...
m
l
!