Sign in with
Your question

My first build. Need advice on complete system.

Last response: in Systems
September 5, 2010 3:54:31 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP. My current computer is driving me insane.

BUDGET RANGE: Around $1000 for everything (before/after rebates).

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming (SCII, Just Cause 2, GTA IV, NFS: Shift), watching movies, multitasking.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Need everything including monitor, keyboard, mouse, and OS. No speakers needed.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg and Microcenter (Kinda far for me though). I never shopped on ZipZoomFly or NCIX but if you can find good prices for parts I need, please use them.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: New York City

PARTS PREFERENCES: For my budget, I think AMD would be better. It would be a real challenge to fit an i5 750 and a GTX 460 1 GB. If anyone did, that would be awesome. @_@

OVERCLOCKING: No.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080 OR 1920 x 1200.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: It would be nice to have a case with a window so that I can see the parts inside.

Does anyone have the ASUS VH236HL-P Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor w/ height & swivel adjustment 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000 :1 Built in Speakers? I am interested in this monitor, so I'd like to hear people's opinions.

Link here: http://www.newegg.comProduct/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236065

Thank you everyone in advance.
September 5, 2010 4:14:14 AM

I might spend a bit more to avoid a Biostar mobo.
m
l
Related resources
September 5, 2010 4:23:03 AM

Why avoid Biostar mobo? I never heard anything bad about Biostar but I never heard anything good about them either.
m
l
September 5, 2010 4:28:51 AM

The truth is all brands make both gems and lemons at various price points but peeps who dun build with brands outside their comfort zones would just stick to what worked for them hehe
m
l
September 5, 2010 4:29:30 AM

They typically use the cheapest electrical components possible. From their caps to the traces, it's not as high-end as most other manufacturers. There's good reason they're typically in the sub 70$ range.

I'm unimpressed with that link as all that's showing is an X2 that successfully unlocked/OCed. That only proves that that specific X2 was excellent.

If you can swing it for an Asrock extreme3 (Asrock's not well-known, but they're a spin off of Asus and use the same components) or so for 85$ IMO that'd be preferable.

Edit: above: Not really. Some brands are dedicated to only producing quality parts (GA) and charging a premium for it, others are known for making enthusiast parts exclusively (ASUS). Very rarely will one of the major mobo makers actually produce a board of poor build quality.
m
l
September 5, 2010 4:42:31 AM

Are there any good monitors you guys can recommend me? If that Biostar mobo isn't of good quality, then I need a new combo then.
m
l
September 5, 2010 4:48:09 AM

Is is: had built with Biostar T-Series from 2008 starting from socket AM2+ Lost count no. of builds hehe
m
l
September 5, 2010 6:47:13 AM

I used Batuchka's build to search for more combos to get as close to my target price as possible. If anyone can find a way to cut the cost some more w/o sacrificing performance, let me know. Thanks.

m
l
!