ultrabay 2000 question

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
December 17, 2004 11:01:18 PM

Hi, newbie here. Is there a difference between the ultrabay 2000 drive
on a T series vs an ultrabay 2000 drive on a x series?? Or is that a
standard that IBM made so that an ultrabay 2000 would be compatable
with all laptop series that have an ultrabay 2000 drive bay??
Thanks in advance
Sam

More about : ultrabay 2000 question

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 17, 2004 11:21:26 PM

"newbie" <skim1271@yahoo.com> writes:
> Hi, newbie here. Is there a difference between the ultrabay 2000 drive
> on a T series vs an ultrabay 2000 drive on a x series??

The X and T series do not take Ultrabay 2000. They use a thinner
Ultrabay called Ultrabay Slim. There is an adapter available that
lets you put Ultrabay Thin devices in Ultrabay 2000 slots. Ultrabay
2000 devices will not fit in Ultrabay Thin slots.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 18, 2004 5:41:19 PM

newbie <skim1271@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, newbie here. Is there a difference between the ultrabay 2000
> drive on a T series vs an ultrabay 2000 drive on a x series?? Or is
> that a standard that IBM made so that an ultrabay 2000 would be
> compatable with all laptop series that have an ultrabay 2000 drive
> bay??

Ultrabay 2000 is the "standard" for early T and X series machines and means
that these accessories will work in any machine equipped with one of these
bays regardless of whether it's internal or installed in an external
housing.

New T and X series machines (T4X and X40) use a different UltraBay Slim
design that utilizes the new, thinner 9.5mm thick optical drives. The
UltraBay Slim drives can be used in older machines with the help of an
adapter, but the older Ultrabay 2000 accessories can not be used internally
with the new machines.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
December 18, 2004 7:32:20 PM

> standard that IBM made so that an ultrabay 2000 would be
> compatable with all laptop series that have an ultrabay 2000

Ultrabay Slim. But you should definitely test that. I recently replaced the
DVD/CDRW drive on my T40p model under warranty and the new drive, although it
fitted in the bay and the drive itself was ok and it was recognized as a CD
burner, failed to burn CDs. It turned out that there are slightly different
models of the Ultrabay Slim DVD/CDRW drive and newer drives obviously don't
work with my older T40p.

Alex
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 19, 2004 6:30:29 AM

HUH?
If it fits, it works.
UltraBay 2000 is UltraBay 2000
UltraSlim Bay is UltraSlim Bay
two different standards.

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:32:20 +0100, "Alexander Halser"
<alexander.REMOVETHIS.halser@gmx.net> wrote:

>> standard that IBM made so that an ultrabay 2000 would be
>> compatable with all laptop series that have an ultrabay 2000
>
>Ultrabay Slim. But you should definitely test that. I recently replaced the
>DVD/CDRW drive on my T40p model under warranty and the new drive, although it
>fitted in the bay and the drive itself was ok and it was recognized as a CD
>burner, failed to burn CDs. It turned out that there are slightly different
>models of the Ultrabay Slim DVD/CDRW drive and newer drives obviously don't
>work with my older T40p.
>
>Alex

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 20, 2004 4:30:03 PM

>> If it fits, it works.

Obviously not. Me and the guy at the IBM dealer who replaced the drive were
surprised, too. A brand new Ultraslim DVD/CDRW drive, apparently identical to
the older one, did not burn CDs. And it was neither a defect in the drive nor
was it a software issue, because the very same new drive worked flawlessly in
a T42, despite identical drivers and XP version. The final replacement that I
got for my older T40p had a slightly different FRU and revision number. Just
my 2 cents of experience... don't know where the differences are.

Alex
!