Mix of 10/100 and 10/100/1000

Supe_

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hello network guys. I am getting a tad frustrated with my home network.
Here is all the equipment that I have:

Wireless Router
Apple Airport Extreme - 10/100 - N wireless
Computers
Mac Mini - 10/100 wired
Dell Studio XPS (W7) - 10/100/1000 but running N wireless
Homebuilt HTPC (W7)- 10/100/1000 wired
Homebuilt server (WHS) - 10/100/1000 wired
Other
Slimdevices (Logitech) Squeezebox3 - G wireless
Netgear switch 10/100 with Panasonic Bluray, Xbox and HTPC hooked up

Everything runs fine but the Airport Extreme and switch are a bottleneck between my HTPC and Server when I rip movies or transfer large files. I have also finally got Bluray bitstreaming worked out and have a bluray drive on order and will want to free up my poor laptop from bluray ripping duties. So I am thinking of getting a 10/100/1000 base wireless router.
Am I correct in understanding that each computer/device will throughput (or whatever the term is) at or around it's capabilities? In other words if I get a 1000 base router and switch, just because I have the mini that is only capable of 10/100 hooked up to the router it won't slow the whole network down to 10/100? I feel like this is a stupid question but I just want to make sure.

Also are there any suggestions on a good Wireless N router that does not cost as much as the Airport Extreme which is what I am thinking of getting since I am familiar with the current one?
Thanks for any guidance.

Solution
why do you need a Gigabit wireless router? bit of a waste of money?, and why do you need a 2nd wireless router?

I think all you need is a Gigabit switch, you already have Wireless N and and a router no need to get doubles unless you have specific reasons for it?

and no the Mini won't slow down your entire network, only anything connected to the mini will operate at 100Mbit speeds.

curtains

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
why do you need a Gigabit wireless router? bit of a waste of money?, and why do you need a 2nd wireless router?

I think all you need is a Gigabit switch, you already have Wireless N and and a router no need to get doubles unless you have specific reasons for it?

and no the Mini won't slow down your entire network, only anything connected to the mini will operate at 100Mbit speeds.

Solution

Supe_

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Curtains, thank you for taking the time to answer. I did a little more homework on networking and realize I pulled the trigger too soon on posting this thread and have found several other posts pertaining to my question. Obvious fail, sorry everybody. All I need is a gigabit switch. Thank you again for pointing that out.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
For the most part, you can think of switches like water pipes. If your main pipe can handle 1000units of water and you took a water pipe that can only deliver 100 units, then *at most* it would only ever use 1/10 of it's max speed.

Just follow the "flow of water"