Device Manager problem

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

The following problem manifested itself recently on an otherwise perfectly
stable WinXP system:

When trying to access Device Manger (either via My Computer|Manage or via
Control Panel), I get this message:
"Action Cancelled Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page
you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable ..." - just like
when you get to a dead webpage or suchlike.

If I persist in trying to get it displayed, I get a Win error with two
files mentioned: devmgr.dll and mmc.exe.

Since I do not use Device Manger every day, it is not clear exactly at
what point (or rather after what change etc) this problem developed first.

Unfortunately I was unable to find relevant info in MS KB or via Google -
most of what I saw deals with various error codes generated by functioning
Device Manager.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

--
Cheers,
Dave

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi Dave,

Go to Start - Run and type the following command then press enter.

regsvr32 dmocx.dll

Now try to access Device Manager.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message ...
> Hi Dave,
>
> Go to Start - Run and type the following command then press enter.
>
> regsvr32 dmocx.dll
>
> Now try to access Device Manager.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> DaveGK wrote:
<...>
>> When trying to access Device Manger (either via My
>> Computer|Manage or via Control Panel), I get this message:
>> "Action Cancelled Internet Explorer was unable to link
>> to the Web page you requested. The page might be
>> temporarily unavailable ..."
<...>

Hi Bert,

Thanks! That did the trick :)
I wonder if it was the ActiveSync / WinMobile PDA stuff ...

Thanks again, appreciate it.

--
Cheers,
Dave

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

"Action Canceled" error while opening Device Manager:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dmocx.htm

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

> "Action Canceled" error while opening Device Manager:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dmocx.htm
>

> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "DaveGK" <davegk.net@ntlworld.BUG.com> wrote in message
<...>
>> When trying to access Device Manger (either via My Computer|Manage or
>> via
>> Control Panel), I get this message:
>> "Action Cancelled Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web
>> page
>> you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable ..."
<...>

Thanks for your help, got it sorted now.

--
Cheers,
Dave

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

You're welcome!

--

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "Action Canceled" error while opening Device Manager:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dmocx.htm
>>

>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "DaveGK" <davegk.net@ntlworld.BUG.com> wrote in message
> <...>
>>> When trying to access Device Manger (either via My Computer|Manage or
>>> via
>>> Control Panel), I get this message:
>>> "Action Cancelled Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web
>>> page
>>> you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable ..."
> <...>
>
> Thanks for your help, got it sorted now.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Dave

TRENDING THREADS