How do I start my computer without putting it in a case?

maziar321

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I''m doing an experiment for class, and its not worth my time to put it in the case. How can start the computer without putting it in the case. i.e. running a computer out of its case...

Solution
First, make sure that you've got your motherboard isolated from anything conductive. In the past I've measured the motherboard and put standoffs on a sheet of cardboard. Then just connect everything as usual.

Now you need some way to trigger the computer to start up. The easiest way to do this is to find the pins that the power switch from your front panel connects to (should be printed on the motherboard and/or listed in the manual) and then short the two pins with a screwdriver or jumper (this isn't very good for the motherboard). The best way would be to attach a 2-pin connector to a momentary-on switch and then connect that to the motherboard header (just like how it's done inside a case). After you hear the fan start up, make...
Hmm do elaborate if u just want to power up and show a positive POST test result on the display or actually have OS/Hdd hooked up to SATA/IDE port and show system booting into OS on display ^^ Either way shot the PW +/- headers on the front panel connectors with the shaft of a screw driver
jlbn.jpg

wielander

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
First, make sure that you've got your motherboard isolated from anything conductive. In the past I've measured the motherboard and put standoffs on a sheet of cardboard. Then just connect everything as usual.

Now you need some way to trigger the computer to start up. The easiest way to do this is to find the pins that the power switch from your front panel connects to (should be printed on the motherboard and/or listed in the manual) and then short the two pins with a screwdriver or jumper (this isn't very good for the motherboard). The best way would be to attach a 2-pin connector to a momentary-on switch and then connect that to the motherboard header (just like how it's done inside a case). After you hear the fan start up, make sure that you stop or take away whatever is shorting the pins (or else the system will restart after ten seconds or so).

Solution

wielander

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Yeah, all you have to do is touch the two pins and it will instantly spark to life (sometimes literally).

The power switch on a computer is a momentary-on switch which means that while you are pressing it, the circuit is closed (it allows electricity to flow through). It isn't like a light switch; it isn't connected between the power supply and the motherboard, directly allowing or preventing the flow of power between the two. It operates more like a signal to the power supply that you want to start the computer, to start delivering power to it.

wielander

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
I have done this many times in the past using the screwdriver method without bricking my motherboard, but it isn't recommended. If you attach a 2-pin connector to a momentary-on switch (both available from radioshack), there isn't as much to worry about.