Does an external hard drive "reinstall" software?

uglijimus

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I have this:

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/goflex-desk/?sku=STAC2000100

I just backed up my desktop's hard drive last night. I am interested in using my external seagate hard drive to reinstall my OS (windows 7 ultimate).

I am wondering though if I use my seagate to put the OS back onto the computer, will it just put it back on as it is now, or does it actually reinstall the OS as if I did it from a disc?

I wanted to ask at the seagate forums but I don't have the serial # with me (I'm at work).

I appreciate any help.

Here are my specs by the way:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/7/2012, 22:09:22
Machine name: JIM-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7522
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6134MB RAM
Page File: 2263MB used, 10002MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 260
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05E2&SUBSYS_0CDD19F1&REV_A1
Display Memory: 3684 MB
Dedicated Memory: 873 MB
Shared Memory: 2811 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: ACER X223W (Analog)
Monitor Model: Acer X223W
Monitor Id: ACR0050
Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.883Hz)
Output Type: DVI

Solution
When you restore a backup image, you put a copy of the image back in place. It is not like a fresh/clean install of the OS. So, if you backed up corrupted/damaged/infected files, you would restore those same files.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
When you restore a backup image, you put a copy of the image back in place. It is not like a fresh/clean install of the OS. So, if you backed up corrupted/damaged/infected files, you would restore those same files.

Solution

uglijimus

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
that's what I was afraid of.

Let's say my current windows 7-ultimate is corrupted. I install a new one, and then try to use seagate external drive to restore the rest of all my files. Is this possible? or would seagate not recognize this new non-corrupted windows 7-ultimate, hence not let me put the rest of my files back in place?

Taking it one step further, I wonder if I put say windows 7 professional 64 on instead, and tried restoring the rest of my files I wonder what would happen...

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
Try repairing your install first. You can manually backup any files but do a virus scan on your external (is this what you’re afraid of?) before you re-install them.

You should go ahead and upgrade to the 64 bit operating system, even if you do get this sorted.

If you do end up re-imaging you need to do a clean wipe (reformat your drive and remove/ re-install any partitions) at that time.

uglijimus

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

according to the first reply it seems like there would be no reinstall of applications because restoring a backup image is just putting a copy of the image back in place, which sounds like a system restore. Or am I wrong?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There are several things being described here. Lets not confuse the OP too much.

1. If the external drive was used to store an image of the original install, then restoring that image will restore whatever the original install had in it. Apps and all.

2. If the external drive just contains files/docs, then a clean install (32 or 64 bit) can be accomplished, but all apps would need to be installed as well. Afterward, the OP could move the files/docs back as desired.

So, uglijimus, please clarify what you are trying to do.

He's talking about doing a clean install, then pulling your Data out of the backup, not restoring the full backup

uglijimus

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

If I understand you, I believe you're right.

I'm having problems with my nvidia graphics card. I cannot access the control panel no matter what. even after several support chats with nvidia they suggested a clean wipe and start over.

I'm fine with a clean wipe of OS, but was hoping I could keep all the apps/software as is without reinstalling them. Looks like I can't from what you guys have said and unfortunately that's what I had thought as well.