Tryptophan (I tripped my fans!) Any Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drokkon

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
So I just embarked on a weekend project that has a deadline of Monday morning, fully expecting to pull an all-nighter tonight. I sat down at my production machine (I'm a graphic designer) which has been powered on and running for over a year now, with few exceptions. (Aside from the fact that I've added some storage and updated the video card, HERE is the build in question.)

Since I'm on a tight deadline, naturally, my PC shuts down with no explanation! The power button won't turn it back on initially, but it finally works after 5 minutes or so; I figured it was a heat issue. The CPU and mobo seem to be a relatively cool 115F degrees or so, however, so I took the side off my case and figured it out: the ONLY fan running is my CPU fan. The power supply and three other case fans are all still!

I took two of the fans off of the "FAN only" connectors and connect them to a full power lead, and they power up fine. So, theoretically I can get the three case fans running again, but I'm sure it's the power supply that's overheating, and I doubt I can fix its internal fan.

Any tips, or should I go buy a new power supply ASAP?

Thanks!

drokkon

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

Thanks, etk...they were, and I did.

Wish I had more warning and could have picked out the perfect replacement from newegg or somewhere, but alas...I had to run to Best Buy and ended up with a 600W Thermaltake. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.