Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Here are the main components in question:

AMD Phoenom II x4 965 Blk Ed
Asus M4A79XTD momma board
Radeon HD 5770 (just one)
G.Skill RipJaws Gaming Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 PC3-12800
Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit

The power comes on. Fans are running and harddrive spins up, but I am not getting ANY video signal for the monitor. :fou: The monitor says "No Video Signal". There are no beeps from a POST result, either (motherboard manual says there should be - and, yes, the speaker is attached).

I have checked, rechecked, and checked again all connections. I have even removed and reseated the CPU and memory modules. Nothing changes.

I hooked my laptop to the monitor, although via VGA - not HDMI like on above set-up, and it works.

So, now I believe the problem lies between the video card, mother board, or CPU. Unfortunately, I have no other computer to test these units and I need to RMA the culprit to NewEgg before too long.

My bet is the motherboard being the problem, but I am not 100% sure. I have a CompUSA near my house and was wondering if they would do a POST check on the video card and CPU. Will they do that? Are they trustworthy? At least then I could be sure.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Many Thanks,

Tim

BeerMan_01

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Did you plug in the cpu power connector from psu to momma board?

Did you plug in the pci-e power connector from psu to video card?

Try re-seating the video card?

Yes to each.

If you were a betting person, given the circumstances here, which would you say is most likely the culprit? The video card, mobo, or cpu?

BeerMan_01

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Your bet was correct!

Like an idiot, I totally overlooked the second ATX 4-pin power cable to the mobo. This Asus board has the primary 24-pin attachment down the right side of the board listed as item #2, but there is also a 12v 4-pin connector listed as #2 in the upper left corner of the board that I totally overlooked.

As I checked the Layout Contents list in the manual, item #2 is the 24-pin. I looked no further than the listed 24-pin connector as I checked items off the list during all my trouble shooting. Well, there are TWO number 2 items (24-pin EATXPWR, 4-pin ATX12V) and the number 2 appears in two different places on the mobo diagram that I did not catch. I guess if I would have slowed down and read item #2 a little closer the first few times, I would have caught that it was describing two different attachments.

Haste makes waste.

Lesson learned.

Thank you for your reply.

Tim