Connecting Laptop with Desktop pcAnywhere?

Hi:

I'm trying to remotely control my desktop with my laptop. I have pcanywhere
11 and WinXP on the laptop and Win98 and pcanywhere 10.5 on the desktop.
PCanywhere 11 doesn't do parallel connections so I'm trying a serial connection
and cannot get it to work. When I double click to start the laptop's remote
session the connection window appears briefly and then disappears as if I've
done nothing and when I repeat the process I get a message the port is in use.
I can, however, use the desktop as the remote and control the laptop so I think
the cable I'm using is fine.
Does "Direct Cable Connection" exist in WinXP and can it control a computer
running Win98?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about connecting laptop desktop pcanywhere

    Posted by: Deod Dec 18, 8:49 am on Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
    Subject: Connecting Laptop with Desktop pcAnywhere?

    > I'm trying to remotely control my desktop with my laptop. I have
    pcanywhere
    > 11 and WinXP on the laptop and Win98 and pcanywhere 10.5 on the
    desktop.
    > PCanywhere 11 doesn't do parallel connections so I'm trying a serial
    connection
    > and cannot get it to work. When I double click to start the laptop's
    remote
    > session the connection window appears briefly and then disappears as
    if I've
    > done nothing and when I repeat the process I get a message the port
    is in use.
    > I can, however, use the desktop as the remote and control the laptop
    so I think
    > the cable I'm using is fine.
    > Does "Direct Cable Connection" exist in WinXP and can it control a
    computer
    > running Win98?

    I would first off suggest that you try to get Win2K or XP running on
    the Desktop as well, but if you can't, then yes Windows XP does have
    DCC installed on it, but it is built into its networking software.

    Go into "Network Connections" and then create a new connection.
    Configure it to accepting incoming connections from other computers.
    You'll have the option to use LPT or COM ports.

    Once you have that operational, even using parallel ports, you should
    be able to use pcAnywhere to connect via a TCP/IP network instead of
    directly by ports. When you connect via Direct Cable Connection it
    creates a network using whatever protocols you have installed, I'd use
    TCP/IP though some prefer IPX (its unsupported in WinXP but you can
    install it).

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks. I'll give the Direct cable Connection thing a try. Does that
    connection allow you to control the other computer (launch programs etc.?

    TIA
    Visit <A HREF="http://www.zona-pellucida.com">The Art of Parenting through
    Art</A> for fine art, stories, essays and quotations about children

    Deod wrote:
    > Thanks. I'll give the Direct cable Connection thing a try. Does that
    > connection allow you to control the other computer (launch programs
    etc.?

    No, but it should allow you to access PC Anywhere.

Laptops Desktops