1st Time Build - Please Advise

Hi Guys,

Can you please have a brief look at the following components and see if you can suggest any problems or improvements with my planned build. I am looking for a highish spec gaming rig but one that is fairly quiet with good cooling.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Bloomfield) (Socket LGA1366) - Retail £234.99

Silverstone Fortress FT02B-W Windowed Gaming Case - Black £179.99

2 x Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £174.99

G.Skill Trident 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-16000C9 2000MHz Triple Channel Kit £169.99

Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard £144.98

Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive (CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1) £129.99

Cooler Master Silent Pro Modular 850W Power Supply£118.99

Corsair Hydro H70 High Performance CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/LGA1156/LGA1366/AM2/AM3) £86.99

Sub Total : £1,183.74
Shipping : £14.75
VAT is being charged at 17.50%VAT : £209.74
Total : £1,408.23
15 answers Last reply
More about time build advise
  1. PSU : Better, cheaper PSU - 99.86 Corsair TX Series 850W

Case : Do you really need something that expensive? - GBP 78 CoolerMaster HAF 922

RAM : G.SKILL Pi Series (3x2GB) - I think 1600 Mhz CL7 will be just fine.

Faster SSD : OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G)

No experience with hydro cooling. So I'll let somebody else take take that.
  2. Agree ^

And if they have the HX850 on that site get it.
  3. ^ Yes, but only if he's ready to shell out the extra dough for cable management though.
  4. I know, but the modular design is easier and neat.
  5. It's actually a bit nicer than the HX as well.
  6. ^....
  7. Please guys, don't fight on somebody else's thread. He's asked for advise. If we can help him out, gr8. If we can't, just quit. Thanks.
  8. Im not fighting, chill out.
  9. Thanks for your help so far guys, I will probably change the ram as I thought it may have been overkill!

I know I could easily get away with a much cheaper case but after reading a lot of reviews the FT02 seems to offer great cooling and very low noise levels which are important for me as I will be overclocking (or attempting to!) and I love the look of it. It's just one of those 'don't need, must have' buys!

Looking at power supplies I would definately prefer a modular one for neatness. I have a OCZ EliteXstream 800w at the moment but can't stand the cable management otherwise I would probably keep that.

Overall though do you feel the components suit each other and are there any compatability issues I should look out for with this set up?
  10. Nope, it all looks good ^
  11. No compatibility issues, but if you could hold on to your cash a bit longer, then newer, faster SSD's are due pretty soon, not to mention new platforms & GPU's from Intel, AMD, ATI.

So if you can, at least postpone the SSD decision for now.
  12. True. I was considering waiting for the new 6xxx series ATI cards near the end of the year to see what was announced and the price drop effect on the current range. I could probably wait til the new year and see how things change up to then although the money is burning a hole!
  13. You needn't actually get the new stuff. Though at this budget, you might as well.
  14. I would wait.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems