Sign in with
Your question

Whirring Noise HD3850 - Not the Fan

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 30, 2010 11:42:35 PM

Hi Guys,

When playing Killing Floor or Lead and Gold my HIS HD 3850(99% sure that's causing the noise as prior to installing it I had no such issue) makes a high-ish pitched whirring noise that will vary in volume depending what screen im in (i.e. flicking through the settings screen etc) and goes completely when I alt - tab to the desktop.

I just tried Battlefield 2 (which is older compared to KF and L&G) and there was no such noise.

It isn't the fan as I have been working on reducing the temps this evening and am well aware of how my fan sounds over 80%. Is it a particular function taking place that (on newer game) is causing my card grief?

I've been stress testing my GPU this evening and it has been running fine so why when I even sit at the menus of KF and L&G does my card make this noise? - I haven't OC'd the card btw.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Great first day for my new card lol
July 31, 2010 12:41:38 AM

To narrow it down it only appears to happen when in the menus as opposed to the game itself. This is in regards to L&G.

I understand a lot of graphics cards will whirr or click when rendering 3D images. Perhaps something in the menus is causing this.

If this seems normal to people (nevermind answering the original post) let me know as i'm still pretty new to the whole 'building experience'

Cheers
a c 189 U Graphics card
July 31, 2010 7:49:04 AM

So, this is happened only in 1 game?
If the other games are fine then you have a problem on the game itself... :) 
try re-install the game or update (patch) it...
Related resources
July 31, 2010 8:16:41 AM

check to see if any of the capacitors on the card are starting to pop, of is any of the little tiny square capacitors are broken off, that can sometimes cause a high pitched noise.

i figured this out after using a 7800gtx that got damaged from shipping.
July 31, 2010 8:33:56 AM

wa1 said:
So, this is happened only in 1 game?
If the other games are fine then you have a problem on the game itself... :) 
try re-install the game or update (patch) it...

It's happened on two games but just in the menus. Killing floors main menu has some images on it and it makes the noise but so does battlefield 2 and its silent...

However the noise (whirring /electrical) is most prominent on Lead and Gold on the press enter screen...a black screen with press enter in the centre. Kf and L and G are based on other engines and probably aren't as graphically sound as say, an EA produced game but its still not usual!

a7xfire said:
check to see if any of the capacitors on the card are starting to pop, of is any of the little tiny square capacitors are broken off, that can sometimes cause a high pitched noise.

i figured this out after using a 7800gtx that got damaged from shipping.

I'll have a check today. Is the solution to RMA it in that case?

July 31, 2010 8:35:26 AM

Just to add, I'm getting no artifacts or issues such as BSOD while playing any of the games mentioned above.
July 31, 2010 8:43:59 AM

yeah if theres any type of physical damage on the card such as bad caps or missing caps itd be manufacturer fault. RMA would be your best bet.

either way, if you know for sure that the noise IS coming from the card, then id definatly look into RMAing it. thats what we have warranty's for anyway isnt it?!
July 31, 2010 8:57:24 AM

Indeed it is. However if it is an issue that is can be solved without having to spend time returning / waiting for a replacement I'd much rather go down that route.

This has been my first build and I've has to replace the heatsink, the case and now the graphics card. Welcome to the world of pc building some will say....if this is what it consists of sod that lol
July 31, 2010 9:05:43 AM

i understand haha. but ive honestly never had or seen a problem like this that hasnt ended up having to be solved by an RMA. but either way best of luck to ya!
July 31, 2010 12:54:38 PM

I've contacted play.com and they are giving me my money back...once they receive the item back.

Decided to spend another £20 and invest in a Hd 5670.

Cheers for the replies
!