squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Hi

Below is a picture of my case with the front panel on ( the case is Gigabyte GZ-X2 )

26112010251.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

The manufacturer and comments on newegg claim that this case can hold a front fan too. below is a pic of my case without the front panel

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There is a support for the front fan. but if i fix both a front fan and the front panel over there, will the front fan get enough air to blow? or is the front panel supposed to be left removed with the front fan on?

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi, squallypie.

I am positive that Gigabyte did not intend on you leaving the front panel off of the case to use the front fan. If they designed the case with a fan there I believe they would have thought it through enough that the fan will be able to draw in air, or at least I hope they did. Is there any type of gap, grill, or space that is open on the front panel to allow air flow into the fan?

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
there is nothing to remove on the front panel. i wanted to show u guys that hence i posted the pic ( didnt expect the pics to be this big! ).

@ motopsychojdn, i removed the side panel and placed a table fan next to my pc to see if it affects my temps :p and it works but sadly only when my AC is on. ( the fan just blows the cold air into my pc )

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
When I was refering to the front panel I meant the black plastic piece and unfortunatly its is impossible to see in the pictures if there is a large enough space for the fan to draw in air. That is why I asked you "Is there any type of gap, grill, or space that is open on the front panel(black plastic piece) when installed, to allow air flow into the fan?"

And Moto is right without the side panel your case does not get the proper airflow direction, the fans just blow air around and a front fan like that will help very little if not at all in that configuration. Best to have your side panel on, draw air in the front and have it exit out the back/top.

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
@ ct1615

ok so if i ever did install a front fan, im just gonna let both front and rear blow inwards. about the side fan, my side panel has no mounts for a fan but there is a grill on which an air duct used to sit. ( had to remove it after the heatsink was changed ). perhaps stick the fan on the side panel using a double side sticker ? :p

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
my current cpu heat sink is an OCZ Vendetta with a 92mm fan. The case is a small case and im aware of that. after reading ur post, im now worried i might mess up the airflow with a side fan so ill just forget about it. Ill install a front fan blowing inwards anyways coz one of my hard disk runs at 51*C. ( the rear fan will also blow inwards )

The only reason im experimenting with all these matters is coz my CPU easily runs off into the 70s when it is OC'ed and running prime95. i cant remove the OC coz my cpu wont be able to handle games properly. and my graphics card runs hotter than the temps mentioned in reviews. all in all, i thought i might do something to help the temps.

i dont live in the usa, and the only cases i could find in local websites are thermale take cases and they are all priced a little steep. but of course, upgrading my case is inevitable as it is almost 3 years old now.

Read my sig links for ideas on making holes in your case, (mainly the second and third ones)
drill holes in the front of the case and fit a filter/grill over it, theres loads of ways to make things fit :)
I'm glad you normally have your side panel on, it helps hehe,better to ask and make sure though, and I would have your rear fan as exhaust btw, not intake, also consider a pcie slotfan for under your gfx card, helps take some of the heat out,

Moto

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
oh! the heat sink fan is blowing air towards the heatsink and not away from it. but the fan is UNDER the heatsink right now so its actually blowing air towards the top..

im not familiar with the heatsink installation coz i didnt do it.. :(

TRENDING THREADS