mctavish01

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I have recently purchased a Patriot Javelin S4 4-Bay NAS. I have 4 x 1.5tb drives. Once I configure the 4 drives into raid 5, at a later date can I start to swap out a single drives with a 3tb drive and let it rebuild, would my array size grow at the end? is this wise?

Nothing_But_NAS

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
In theory, that's how RAID5 works. In practice, not all devices/manufacturer offer that basic functionality. Check with your RAID device manufacturer to ensure this is supported by your device. Also verify if there is a space limitation with your device.

If it is, the process is to replace one 1.5TB disk with a new 3TB disk, then rebuild the RAID array. Repeat this process until all 4 disks have been replace (ensure that the rebuild is completed before replacing another disk or you will loose your data). Once all the disks have been swapped with 3TB, use the RAID device utility to grow or expand to RAID array to the new size.

FireWire2

Distinguished

Most likely your NAS runs Linux base OS raid. To expand it you need to have an access to SHELL/CONSOLE to use CLI and most important Linux knowledge. :pt1cable:

So the answer is: Yes ! You can but it's not easy.

It's involve grown the PV and LV - which is not fun