Swapped mobo nightmare. now oem mobo i replaced wont boot either

shawn622

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
i swapped my motherboard from an inspiron 530.. it was running well but my kids could not run the games they wanted to. it had a celeron 450. single core 2.2 ghz.. i needed a faster cpu so i bought a Biostar g31-m7 te ver 6.4. i removed old motherboard and installed the biostar. i have done this before but this time when i went to fire it up it only turned on the faans and so after troubleshooting it i decided to install the old stock board.. i did . when i went to power on the fans ran for abot five seconds and then went off and back on. into a loop of this. nothing on the monitor, no bios.. nothing but this bootloop. i am now about to pull my hair out because its 100+ degrees out and the kids cant go out much and no computer.. its a nightmare.. please someone help. recap: working dell 530... swapped mobo to biostar... would not boot. trouble shot..... install aem dell inspiron 530 mobo and when power up fans on 3-5 sec then shuts oss and tries to start again into a bootloop... thanks

shawn622

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
yes.. then i unplugged ram and snapped back in hard. i took grafix card out and that didnt fix.. made sure cpu was seated correctly, i took it down to one hard drive, monitor, mouse and keyboard. i get no lights on mouse or keyboard, black screen, and fans running for 3-5 secs then off then same thing over n over.. no beeps...ive reset bios, battery trick... i had to modify the back of the tower by cutting metal out so the monitor jack would fit. its jaged, maybe a short but i cant find it...

Does it work outside of the case? That would rule out a short. When you cut metal out, did you remove the PSU and all other components?

Test the Biostar with the CPU and one memory module outside of the case. Use on-board video to see if it POST. You don't need a hard disk, keyboard, mouse, etc.

shawn622

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011

well i cut the metal while power supply was in it but nothing was hooked up... and i did try to boot it outside the case but i dont have jumpers to get it far enough away from the case so what i did was set the case on the side and pull everything but the power both 4 prong and 18 prong(i think its 18) and the moniter(if you can picture this). i managed to get a piece of card board between the case and the mobo... it did exactly the same thing... with the biostar the fans spun and that was it. no beep.. nothing else... and when i did it with the stock mobo i took out in the first place it just got stick in the same bootloop. im really frusterated though because the original was weorking great. all i did was put a dif mobo inan d the put the original back and nothing but a bootloop. not even one character:( thanks

shawn622

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
i am now believing that myself.... i removed the PSU and setup biostar mobo on the table... no vid card, hooked monitor up to stock... i put ram in, reset bios, hooked up hard drive and powered up.. same deal... fans only.. i unhooked the hard drive ans no go... but i dont understand how the PSU just went bad... it worked fine before the mobo swap. is there something i could have done to short it out or fry it? i am going to get a new tower... what power supply would be suffecient.. i want to stay ahead of the game.. the PSU i have now is 300w... is 450w suffecient, or should i get 600w or 650w? i would like to order today... thanks

TRENDING THREADS