Sign in with
Your question

Proposed HTPC build...do you see any issues?

Last response: in Components
November 28, 2010 12:33:30 AM

I'm about to put together an living room HTPC to stream 1080p content and perhaps play some blu-ray media. Since I've traditionally used Intel parts for my builds, I'm not entirely comfortable that the mobo, CPU and RAM I've selected will play well together. I also wanted to make sure that the on-board video chip will be able to stream 1080p content from my local NAS as well as the usual online suspects (Hulu (Flash), Netflix (Sliverlight))

Does this build list look kosher?

• GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H AM3 AMD 880G
  • Patriot 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
  • AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W
  • SILVERSTONE SG06-B Black Aluminum/SECC Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case SFX 300W
    a b ) Power supply
    November 28, 2010 12:38:47 AM

Looks a solid build to me, this is a very energy efficient and space conscience build. I don't see any conflicts with the motherboard and CPU, the memory is compatible. No issues and what could you possible want more out of it?
    a b ) Power supply
    November 28, 2010 1:16:54 PM

Looks fine to me. I would also like a dedicated video card myself.. but if you're only viewing video and not anything more then you couldn't have any problems.
    Related resources
    a b ) Power supply
    November 28, 2010 1:18:08 PM

(also computerrock1, we have a VERY similar sig and setup lolool)
    December 28, 2010 8:10:47 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. One last question. I have quite a few blu-rays that I've ripped to mkv. Will this rig be able to use HDMI to stream these mkvs to my HDTV or will DRM prevent this from working? If so, can I use DVI out?
    a b ) Power supply
    December 29, 2010 6:50:25 AM

It all depends on how you setup your home theater... are you connecting the pc directly to the TV to view AND LISTEN from there or do you have a proper home theater system as well??? If its the second then how have you connected the HT and TV???

If its just HDTV for video and audio then connect the PC through HDMI... If you have a AV receiver with HDMI incoming port connected to your TV (via DVI preferably) and your HT speakers then connect the PC via HDMI to the AV receiver and it will take care of the rest...

if you plan to connect the PC via DVI to the TV or receiver then get a audio optical cable for connecting the PC and the AV receiver...
    December 30, 2010 1:14:46 AM

abully said:
    It all depends on how you setup your home theater... are you connecting the pc directly to the TV to view AND LISTEN from there or do you have a proper home theater system as well??? If its the second then how have you connected the HT and TV???

If its just HDTV for video and audio then connect the PC through HDMI... If you have a AV receiver with HDMI incoming port connected to your TV (via DVI preferably) and your HT speakers then connect the PC via HDMI to the AV receiver and it will take care of the rest...

if you plan to connect the PC via DVI to the TV or receiver then get a audio optical cable for connecting the PC and the AV receiver...

I don't have a a true home theater setup, so my only audio source is the HDTV. It sounds like HDMI will work just fine. I assume it will work even if I'm playing non-HD content (480p for example)?
    a b ) Power supply
    December 30, 2010 7:15:46 AM

Yes... it'll play everything...
    !