alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I have an old Falcon NW computer system that now when I start it, it reboots over and over and over again until it finally allows me to put in my password and then it starts up. A few weeks ago i upgraded from MS Office 2003 - MS Office 2007 and it's been slow since then.

A few days ago I started the system up and it gave me some funny (weird) errors but started up, after it started I ran a chkdsk on it and it corrected everything it found but after that when I try to start it up it gets to different parts of the startup at different times, it even allows me to enter in the password once or twice before it reboots again then allows me to enter the password and goes all the way to where it's usable again.

It does go to the safe mode screen but for whatever reason, when it's there it does not allow me to use the KB arrow keys to move safe mode or whatever it just stays on the start windows normally selection and boots up again?

I have no idea where to start to trouble shoot this? I'm thinking it may be the HDDs (2 set in a raid 0 configuration), or the cpu or motherboard but I have no concrete evidence?

If I don't shut the system down and allow it to remain on it runs fine, slow but fine?

Does anyone have any idea on where I should start looking for the problem?

Does anyone know if and how I can revert back to office 2003 from office 2007 without losing all my old emails and contacts?

Thanks for any help you can provide me!

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006

Stupid POS system locks up while trying to run pc wizard 2010 to see what I have for hardware :(., It keeps locking up at the same point when detecting hardware (Disk Controller) so I'm not sure if that is where the problem is or if it's somwehre else?

It's a very old system:

I think this is what's in it:

Asus A7N8X motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2800 CPU
Radeon 9800 Pro
Toshiba SD-M1712 CD-DVD
Plextor PX-W4012A Burner
I'm pretty sure it only has 1Gb of memory as well
and 2 HDD's setup in a raid 0 config using an old promise fasttrak raid controller

I've been wanting to rebuild this PC for quite awhile now I just don;t have the $$ to do it. Sucks being married with 3 kids and being disabled living off of SSDI :(.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006

I don't want to sound like a complete idiot here but what should I buy for replacement Hard Drives? Should i buy two of them and replace the raid 0 setup (I've never setup a raid before) and will the disk clone work on a raid setup?

Now that I'm thinking about it I have two spare Hard drives that I got in exchange from WD when my hard drives for my main system died, they are WD5002ABYS, would those work? Should I just replace the raid 0 with one of these HDD's?

BTW, Thanks for all the help, whenever I have a computer problem I go to Tom's and you guys are always here to help me out. I really appreciate it!

Personally, I wouldn't bother with RAID, especially if I hadn't done it before, even more so while in the middle of diagnosing a hardware problem.

If your system will let you, clone the current RAID array to one of your WD5002ABYS HDs. Then remove the data cables from your "RAID" HD's, boot from the "new" disk, and see if the problem is resolved.