willyjunior

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
I have a new (3 weeks old) WD My passport HDD 1 TB, and I use Windows 7. I run the HD through a USB 2.0 port, since my computer doesn't have USB 3.0 ports. My mouse is connected via a USB port as well. It happens occasionally that when I try to access folders on the HDD, the mouse pointer lags and jumps in the direction I moved it to, specially if the folder have many files and folders, and when these folders change there shape according to there contents, also it sometimes happen when I check the size of a large folder.
When it happens it does when I move the pointer over an open window of this drive.
I doubted the antivirus software I have (AVG) so I disabled it but still happens, maybe reduced not really sure but it happens.
Taking in consideration that the drive have shown no sign of other issues. All the WD utility tests, and data life guard tests I ran came out "Passed". The smart report is OK. But when this condition happened I began to suspect the drive. Do I have a bad drive here??

willyjunior

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
I would rule out the mouse since it works fine any where else, it's a cable USB mouse. Since WD tests scan for bad sectors, and SMART tests I don't know if I can count on them when it comes to performance issues. The problem increases with the antivirus installed so it's speed issue. My internal hard drive has lots of data too but I don't see the issue. Is there a way to test the HDD's speed, or what could be the problem??

zdbc13

Distinguished
Check the health tab. If no errors there run the quick scan on the error scan tab. If it finds anything run a full scan.

It could be the controller in the passport enclosure. I'll look on google and the wd site for anything along those lings.