Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX 460 Varities

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 31, 2010 8:31:47 AM

Hey guys,
I usually purchase eVGA cards (great performance, great build quality) but the GTX 460 seems to be an odd case. In a lot of newegg reviews people are saying the eVGA cards feel cheap and they are louder than the MSI and Gigabytes' offerings. Basically, I just wanted some opinions on the various cards and hopefully someone can tell me the difference between the eVGA EE (external exhaust) and standard cards. Are the MSI/Gigabyte cards really quieter than the two different (EE and standard) eVGA cards? Also, does anyone know which card runs the coolest (heat is the biggest issue for me, as I live in an extremely hot environment and my room is often very warm).
Thanks sol:

More about : gtx 460 varities

July 31, 2010 6:16:30 PM

The MSI cyclones run the coolest hands down. I dont remember the site, but read a review on this last week. It was running about 5degrees C cooler than the others
Score
a c 172 Î Nvidia
July 31, 2010 6:24:35 PM

Guru3D have the EVGA and Gigabyte as the coolest, but that review was from a couple of weeks back.
Score
Related resources
July 31, 2010 7:01:49 PM

Actually the MSI and EVGA are the coolest when at load in that review. MSI uses a non-reference design, but it supports voltage tweaking through their Afterburn software.

Edit: Guru3D's table and their graph don't match up, so who knows which is the coolest.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
July 31, 2010 7:20:32 PM

cyclone 768mb
"The temperatures we saw throughout the testing process were simply incredible. There really is not other way to describe it. However, we’re not seeing acoustical performance sacrificed for decreased temperatures since the Cyclone stayed amazingly quiet as well."
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

1GB
"The MSI Cyclone heatsink is doing a fabulous job of keeping temperatures comfortably cool while under full load in a worst-case scenario of FurMark. "

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1029&page=16

My MSI GTX460 cyclone runs silent and won't break 53c gaming. at idle it will drop down to 32c.
Score
July 31, 2010 7:38:35 PM

ct1615 said:

My MSI GTX460 cyclone runs silent and won't break 53c gaming. at idle it will drop down to 32c.

Very dependent on the case. Both reviews use open air benches, which tend to outperform most cases. For reference, the Antec 900 cools about as well as an open bench.
Score
July 31, 2010 11:10:38 PM

AMW1011 said:
Very dependent on the case. Both reviews use open air benches, which tend to outperform most cases. For reference, the Antec 900 cools about as well as an open bench.

I have an Antec 1200. I need the 1gb version (1680x1050 monitor) for best performance, and the MSI looks pretty good. I wish eVGA would design a non-reference board.

Edit: Does anyone know the advantages of the EE version? Moving more air might be nice, as long as it's quite and not causing the room to heat up too much.
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
August 1, 2010 12:30:56 AM

radiowars said:
I have an Antec 1200. I need the 1gb version (1680x1050 monitor) for best performance, and the MSI looks pretty good. I wish eVGA would design a non-reference board.

Edit: Does anyone know the advantages of the EE version? Moving more air might be nice, as long as it's quite and not causing the room to heat up too much.

the EE has a higher factory OC then the MSI but runs hotter and makes more noise (granted its still coolwe and not as loud as the GTX 470)

MSI is very aggressive with non-reference coolers across the board on all their cards, I give them credit. The Twin Frozr is a good cooler and the cyclone is excellent. I've also owned EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, and XFX cards. Never really had an issue with any of them.
a b Î Nvidia
August 1, 2010 12:32:33 AM

AMW1011 said:

I have an Antec 300 with 4 fans (two intake, two exhaust), none on the side. It does the job but hardly offers the 900's cooling ability or the OP 1200's.
Score
August 8, 2010 12:35:55 AM

ct1615 said:
the EE has a higher factory OC then the MSI but runs hotter and makes more noise (granted its still coolwe and not as loud as the GTX 470)

MSI is very aggressive with non-reference coolers across the board on all their cards, I give them credit. The Twin Frozr is a good cooler and the cyclone is excellent. I've also owned EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, and XFX cards. Never really had an issue with any of them.

Yeah, I ended up going with the MSI Cyclone (1gb). It's a great card, but I do feel bad straying from eVGA. Company loyalty I suppose lol.
Score
August 8, 2010 12:36:04 AM

Best answer selected by radiowars.
Score
!