Sign in with
Your question

Should i buy a better psu or something else?

Last response: in Components
November 28, 2010 7:13:41 AM

I just recently upgraded and im running this system:

i5 760 oced to 3.8ghz
Asus P7H55-M
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600Mhz
Nvidia 8800GTS

I got a cheap power supply (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/800w-storm-lpj19-43-sile...) Im wondering what would be best to buy next out of:
:sol: 
Better branded PSU
Another 4gb Ram
New graphics card (I dont play many graphically demanding games atm)
New case with better cooling (My CPU temps are around 50idle and 55load)

Im assuming most will say get a better PSU so ill ask this question in advance, whats the cheapest PSU i can get that is reliable?

Thanks.

More about : buy psu

a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2010 7:43:21 AM

PSU without a doubt... that should have been there in the first place... Anyway if you have heavy upgrades lined up then go for a decent wattage PSU (with the present setup you need no more than 500W but just to be future proof go for at least 750W)... in corsair, seasonic, OCZ you have choice of good PSU's for less than $70...

You dont need more than 4GB memory for normal gaming and regular apps... unless you do heavy graphical editing work or play crysis... and for the moment hold on to your 8800 GTS...

your temps are OK for i5 (I reckon with OC)... you didnt say what case you have now... if you are planning on a new case then i can recommend based on your present case and future components...
November 28, 2010 8:05:10 AM

abully said:
PSU without a doubt... that should have been there in the first place... Anyway if you have heavy upgrades lined up then go for a decent wattage PSU (with the present setup you need no more than 500W but just to be future proof go for at least 750W)... in corsair, seasonic, OCZ you have choice of good PSU's for less than $70...

You dont need more than 4GB memory for normal gaming and regular apps... unless you do heavy graphical editing work or play crysis... and for the moment hold on to your 8800 GTS...

your temps are OK for i5 (I reckon with OC)... you didnt say what case you have now... if you are planning on a new case then i can recommend based on your present case and future components...

Thanks for the reply, i know i should of bought a better branded psu to begin with but ive always used cheap power supplies and never had my whole pc taken out by one. I have had a gcard fail and random lockups on my last computer which could of been because of the cheap psu's ive used.

Anyway my case atm is a cheapo one i bought many years ago from pc world ;p it hasn't even got any cooling fans in it so i guess its not that bad considering im oced and my room is usually pretty hot.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2010 9:49:36 AM

OK... since your room is pretty hot throughout i would recommend a full tower to keep the case roomy inside... cooler master HAF X should be ideal with its stock fans... i hope you have a decent cooler for the cpu if not then order the hyper 212+ from newegg (its for $15 right now)...

a c 91 ) Power supply
November 28, 2010 11:20:08 AM

A full is not necessarily a better cooler.. Moreover the HAF-X is a better option for a multi video card setup.. There are better options available when considering CPU cooling.. As for the PSU, I'll recommend checking out the Seasonic S12II 520.. Enough power to handle your current rig and upgrade you make in the nearby future (considering you keep it to a single video card setup)..
a c 164 ) Power supply
November 28, 2010 12:24:11 PM

as emperus stated, bigger cases does not mean better air flow. the antecs have some of the best airflow around and their cases tend to be cramped compared to others. if you are going to give advice, at least make knowledgeable opinions rather then make yourself look foolish by being a fanboy.

a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2010 12:31:38 PM

ct1615 said:
as emperus stated, bigger cases does not mean better air flow. the antecs have some of the best airflow around and their cases tend to be cramped compared to others. if you are going to give advice, at least make knowledgeable opinions rather then make yourself look foolish by being a fanboy.

well you haven't recommended anything to the OP so dont go around talking about what i opine... i own a HAF and i know how good a chasis it it and so recommended it... if you want to differ then state your opinion and leave it there... dont go around pinpointing others being a FANBOY...
a c 164 ) Power supply
November 28, 2010 12:43:03 PM

emperus answered his question and gave a good PSU recommendation. without a budget from the OP I'm not going into a long list of recommendations.

you simply gave a pat on your back for the case you own, like you do on most of your posts I have read. that is a fanboy true and true, if the words hurt well like they say about the truth, it often does...

a b ) Power supply
November 28, 2010 12:49:38 PM

This is a good value PSU - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/600w-corsair-cmpsu-600cx...

Or this if you don't mind non modular - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-corsair-cmpsu-650tx...

Or if you want 4x pci-e incase you double up your cards - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-xfx-p1-650s-nlb9-co...

But its not modular, this one is - http://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-Single-Power-Supply-Modular...

Antec 300's a nice good value case or the Zalman Z7 Plus.

Depends what you want or can spend really, again as already mentioned if you are thinking of future upgrades a larger case will help with the space constraints.

These are nice Antec 600 or CM690 II.

And for even more money Antec 1200 and my personal favourite at the mo the HAF-X.

So it really depends on the budget but I've found waiting a bit longer and spending a bit more usually pays off in the long run.

Good luck with your decisions.

Its all been kicking off while I've been typing away!!
!