Sign in with
Your question

First build got me addicted..

Last response: in Systems
September 5, 2010 7:26:45 PM

Sooo now I am looking to build another. I do not have plans to start building until next summer, but I am going ahead and getting a good idea of what I want (mainly just to be on the look out for deals or new products).

I was going to go with an Intel build this time around, but after looking around, I really want to try out the AMD 6-core.

Anyway, here is what I have so far. I am lacking a MoBo, watercooling, PSU, and probably something else I can't think of at the moment. At any rate, The 2 above items I KNOW I am missing, I really do not know what to get. PSU I am just not sure how to determine how many wattage (I am fairly sure I will go with OCZ). MoBo.. I'll be honest, I have no idea what to look for in these. And watercooling.. no idea what to look for. This will be my first build that uses it.

More about : build addicted

September 5, 2010 7:59:04 PM

1) Every major part you have listed will be obsolete by next summer. Don't start buying now.
A case, monitor, and psu might be exceptions.
2) Do you have an application that needs more than 4 cores all the time? (Gaming is not one of them. ) If not, then the current Intel offerings will outperform the
best AMD 6 core units in a high end rig. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2
3) Intel sandy bridge will launch 1q 2011. Early indications are that they will be much superior to current nehalem cpu's.
4) The only good reason for liquid cooling is if you are seeking record level overclocks. .. or for bragging. A good air cooler is just as effective, cheaper, and simpler.
5) Gen 3 SSD's should launch by this fall. They will use 25nm technology and be much cheaper, larger and faster. You will suffer buyer's remorse if you buy now.
6) OCZ is not on my short list of the best quality psu's. I like Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, PC P&C, and Antec, to name a few.
m
l
September 5, 2010 9:22:28 PM

Hmmm maybe I should start looking at what is coming out next year lol I'll do some more research into future products.
m
l
September 5, 2010 9:32:20 PM

If you do not need a new computer immediately, now is a good time to wait.
m
l
Related resources
!